Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought home 2 balloons last night from work. I thought Neelix would get a real kick out of them and WOW did he. He would pull it down from the ceiling by the ribbon and drag it all over the apartment.

I admit I was quite liking it. He was always easy to find, just follow the moving balloon.

Book did *NOT* agree. He was VERY leery of the balloons. This morning it all came to a head. Neelix was running around with the ribbon and the balloon was following him. He passed book and the Ballooon went on on side, Neelix on the other. Well Book wigged out and tried to run... but Neelix was NOT letting go of his beloved ribbon.

Book got super tangled in the ribbon and freaked out worse. He ran with the balloon bouncing off his back. I tried to catch him but no way.... he cleared everything off the counter. Including my canister set which of course all popped open dumping flour, brown sugar, and oatmeal all over the dining room carpet. He knocked my iMac right off my desk (and took everything else with it), knocked my TV and blu ray player onto the floor, knocked my turntable over as well as the DVD rack and Record holder. Then he headed into the bathroom where he knocked everything off the counter (including the new apotochary set I made earlier this year), took everything off my dresser and night stand. He was making his second lap and the balloon ribbon snapped (finally). He went into the pot cabinet and stayed for HOURS.

He FINALLY ventured out about 1/2 an hour ago and the first thing he saw was.... the ballon on the ceiling (where I can't reach it now that the ribbon snapped). Back into the pot cabinet. I finally blocked the apartment door opened and worked the balloon through the door with the broom. It's not soaring free and Book... well he's still hiding.

I feel so bad for him. He's always so timid but this.... this was really awful for him. That thing attacked him and tried to savage him.... At least he thinks so and I'll never be able to convince him otherwise.

As for me, it'll take days to clean up all this mess. It looks like my apartment has been ransacked.

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
Poor Book! :(

I can't even imagine having to clean up this mess.

Hurricane Book. Category 5.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
I a. So sorry, poor Book! However, I was laughing as I read it. It was like out of a sitcom or a cartoon! I hope that the poor baby recovers from the ballon attack and that you recover from the shock of your poor ransacked apartment.

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
I was kind of hoping there was a video at the end of the story but I guess that would have been beyond cruel. Poor Book...

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok... I'm a crappy cat mom but I admit it. I was laughing so hard my sides hurt while he was racing around..... I thought I was going to hyperventilate. He was trashing the place but I was laughing and all the time hoping he wouldn't hurt himself AND that the balloon wouldn't pop, I was afraid that noise would fracture his little psyche forever.

I let him WATCH me from the pot cabinet while I turned the balloon loose outside. So now he's out and about. A bit jumpy still but feeling much safer. He's also a LOT more affectionate than normal. He's always friendly but right now he's all about Mom holding him.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
OMG I am so with you Mow! I would have felt terribly guilty... but would have died laughing! poor Book, and poor apartment.

But I wish there was a vid, too lol

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today I learned that cinnamon stains a beige carpet. I'm going to have to bring a carpet cleaner now..... it sort of needed it after Neelix dragged potting soil everywhere. Now this, there's no getting around it.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Oh dear God! Poor Book, I know this has probably traumatized him...:eek:
At the same time, reading your narrative of the situation, has me rolling on the floor!!
And that whole disaster, following Neelix's escapades...well mercy!
And you just did your Super cleaning!!

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
OMG laughing so hard...Poor Book! No video, but that description came pretty close -I've got a pretty good image of Book flying along with the balloon bouncing off his back. :p

So Book went into the pot cabinet and didn't come out for hours? Smart cat. :mrgreen: ;)

Sorry about the clean-up though. And I hope Mr. Book has fully recuperated from his balloon nightmare!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Oh my. I was hoping that balloon didn't pop. I think that would've really driven Book over the edge if it did! And though it sounds horrible, I think I'd still get a balloon for Nelix but keep him in a room without Book next time.

I think I'd be upset with all the extra cleaning and stuff to replace now, and hope your Mac, blue ray, and any other electronics still work!

Btw, was this a rubber balloon or Mylar? I'm imagining the traditional red ballon, but still curious.... :p

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It was hysterical in a way, but poor Book and wow, what a path of destruction.

Some people (no one on this forum) would have gotten mad at the cat.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Aww, poor Book!! My timid kitty Cosette got the thin handle of a paper shopping bag around her neck and RAN from it. That darn bag followed her all over the house. Poor thing was a wreck when I finally caught my poor panicked baby to remove the offending bag.
Book learned how bad balloons can be! They are scary like clowns

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it was a black rubber balloon with an orange ribbon.

annoyed the mess, yes. Mad at Book, no. It sure wasn't his fault.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
How is Book doing this morning?
Poor Boy!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts