Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, that's the name of the neighbor's cat.

The reason he made himself at home in my new place when I was moving some things over is because he used to live here! They left without him. The next tenants took him in, but when they left, they talked to my neighbors and they took him in. He's an inside/outside cat.

Here's the problem: He comes up to my door and fights with my girls through the screen and gets them riled up. Or he sits outside meowing/growling. I threw a glass of water towards him last night (I missed on purpose) just to get him off my porch. But I feel bad, because this used to be his house. :(

I saw him outside today and gave him some love and he sprawled on his back for belly rubs.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
What a handsome guy!

I feel bad for him. It must be so confusing for him. Hopefully over time everyone will accept each other and be buddies. It would be nice for him to visit and come & go.

The way his history is being played out you may be his next family!!!!!! :?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Oh man, the house, that's the only thing he has a constant connection to... I can understand why you felt bad.
<sighs> what a situation!

He appears to like you a lot and approves of you occupying his house. lol ..and he does look gorgeous and is a gentleman. I hope it all can work out that everyone gets a long...

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Oh, poor guy. Yes he is saying this is MY home!! I think letting him hang around will be stressful for the girls, but everyone will get used to seeing each other (hopefully he's fixed and not spraying). We had a neighbor's cat that just loved our back deck. My cat's growled and generally pitched a fit through the screened in porch for a couple weeks but eventually they realized he was not a threat. He was a good boy.

When we lived in Sicily on the military base our neighbor (who we celebrated moving out) abandoned her cat - horrible human being. That poor animal sat at the window sill and cried and cried. Finally the base police moved her and I never learned what happened to that poor cat, but it couldn't have been good. Italy has way too many strays and ferals as it is. Sadly adandonment was common - not all service men and women are good people.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ha, the name is hilarious. And he's so handsome. Is he neutered? I would assume so, but if not, I'd definitely get that done as soon as possible. Have you tried feeding your cats and him together to get them used to each other? Or is there a room where he could stay separated from your girls until they get settled? I feel bad for him because he was abandoned (twice!). Poor guy. I think it would do him some good to have some stability, but not at the expense of the safety of your kitties. :(

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried feeding your cats and him together to get them used to each other? Or is there a room where he could stay separated from your girls until they get settled?
He's not homeless, the neighbors took him in when the last tenants left (which they arranged, they didn't just leave him like the tenants before them) and he has a cat door to go in and out. I'm not sure if he's fixed. I'll have Debi look. :grin: Once she moves into the house in front, he'll have 5 more cats to pay attention to.

My major concern is fleas, which can easily jump through the screen. And on me when I'm petting him. Cleo is severely allergic and I don't ever want to go through that again with her.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
People suck (to leave him).

If it were me, I'd go take a cake over to the his owners and introduce myself as the new neighbor. Then casually ask if he's neutered and gets flea treatments.

If not, I'd offer to do both and explain that I have cats and an un-neutered male will unnerve them and since he spends so much time at my place he could transmit fleas.

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He hangs out in my backyard a lot, I see him when I get home. He approached the girls at the screen door today, but they jumped on it and scared him away. I picked him up the other day because he looks FAT, and he's definitely gained weight since I moved in. My neighbor and I were looking at him, wondering if he's a she and she's pregnant. Of course, he could simply be eating at home and critters outside. The next time I see the neighbor who took him in, I'll ask if he's been fixed.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
He's the welcoming comittee...for the neighborhood ;)

You know...grabbing some pound cake and chatting up your neighbor may not be a bad idea :). It will show you what kind of pet owner you have living next to you in case things need to get done or "fixed" hehe.

Talking about all this cake has got me wanting a hot cup of tea :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Cat really do pick you

Marvin hung around our house since he was a kitten and stared in our glass door into the family room as he watched our other cats. We took him in for a brief period back in November because it was cold outside. After a month and a half of having him hiss at us we doubted we could ever catch him to take him to the vet. We let him back outside. He hung around the house again for months and stared in our window until we finally let him back inside a couple of days ago. He is totally comfortable in our home with our other cats and even seems to have warmed up to us. I think he knew this was his home and he was going to get in no matter how much time it took.:kittyball

They pick US!

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He has a home, right next door, they installed a cat door for him so he's free to roam. I really have to hand it to them, he's their first pet. Ever. They took him in after Catsby was about to lose his home for a second time. At least the people who lived in my house before me made arrangements and didn't just leave him behind like the ones who lived in my house before them. Jerks.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
He's probably going around from neighbor to neighbor getting fed (we used to have progressive dinners with church where we'd do a course at each house). Smart kitty. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts