Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to ask if this happened to anybody here.

My kitten started to respond when I call his name in his 7th month.
No matter what he is doing, calling out his name always make him run toward me. :cool

My cat had a different story when he was young. He is a very shy, scared cat who would hide in the very corner of my bed room if I start my dishwasher in the kitchen or when a new guest comes to my house. He still does, so this is a great deal to me.

He started kneading on me like a couple of times in his 7th month, and now he daily kneads me. Even though his claws sometimes hurt, I think I'm addicted to it. :smiles

How long did it take for yours to respond to their names?

·
Registered
388 Posts
We got Milky when he was exactly 5 months old. It took him about one month to know his name and start responding. At first he only looked up, but when he really knew his name, he started coming over to us. He is 8 months old now. It really is such a joy when you see how they grow and learn!

·
Registered
169 Posts
dawwww, it's always lovely when that happens. :)
I got two cats, both 7 and a half months now. At first, they'd come to me whether i called one name or the other. But after Onca got stuck in a tree at 6 months old i kept calling 'Onca' for hours, andi think he knows his name now. :) It's so sweet. :)

Indi knows his name too. It's habit and patterns of your calling that make them finally get it. :)
Say it enough, and they know. If you have one cat, they have less confusion that you're calling them specifically. Lol, Obviously. With two, it's all a blur to start with.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
MowMow was an adult when I got him and it only took him a few days to learn that when I called "MOwMOw" it meant food was imminent.

Shepherd Book was 5 months when I got him and he didn't learn his name until my SO stayed for a week about a month after I adopted Book. SO would string out his name into Shep-Hard-De-Book all slurred together. Within a week the kitten was responding to that name and still only comes when I call him like that.... so I guess he never learned HIS name, just his nickname.

·
Banned
602 Posts
I got Mia when she was 7 weeks old. Within a week after I got her she knew her name. She always comes when called, unless she has gotten the bathroom closet door open (it folds). She loves to get in and lay on the shelf the towels are on. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
My cat comes to me when I call her only when I have a treat in my hand. otherwise she ignores me when I call her. but I have her only. for 5 weeks...and first2 weeks she didnt have name..it took me a while to decide about her name

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
It took Prince only a few days to respond to his name when food is involved. He hasn't yet learned to respond to his name when it's time to come back from the garden, though. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts