Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, what a horse Barbaro is! The commentators said we might be looking at one of the "great ones." The odds were 6-1. There didn't seem to be a runaway favorite, but Barbaro left the leaders and the pack in the dust. That was an exciting race. :) I'm no expert, but I wouldn't miss the Triple Crown! I hope there's a Triple Crown winner this year. :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Every year, they say that we might be looking at a great one. :D Keeps people coming back for the Preakness and Belmont. Barbaro was game, but he also came off a five-week rest. Only time will tell if he's anything like those who came before.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do too, and I get tears when I hear "My Old Kentucky Home." Stephen C. Foster, the composer, is from Pittsburgh. He also wrote "I Dream of Jeanie With the Dark Brown Hair." For me? He must have seen into the future; he spelled Jeanie correctly! :D

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
We who actually live in Kentucky refer to Churchill Downs just as, "the track".....and look at the Kentucky Derby as a waste of what could have been a perfectly good saturday at the track playing the ponies :evil:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Jeanie said:
Oh, Mike. Don't burst my bubble! :cry: You have to have a bit of romance in your soul. :)
:oops: It was meant as a joke, not a very good one I guess...

The Kentucky derby festival is the biggest party we have here all year round. So many people see the Kentucky Derby as "the most exciting 2 minutes in sports".....well, yeah....it is :D But we party for a MONTH to get to the horse race. You really needta come'on down sometime, its a genuine blast. We have parades, and beer wagons, and beauty contests, and beer wagons, and air shows, and beer wagons, and fireworks, and beer wagons......and we finally have a horse race :D

...and beer wagons!!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believed you! Off to The Corner with you, Mike! And there's no beer in there any more. :)

You know, it made sense to me, because sometimes people take for granted what's in their own backyard! :D I'm glad it's a great celebration for you, but if I'm coming down, I'll have one mint julep and then my usual iced tea! Put the kettle on for next year's event. And tell your better half the couch will be fine! :wink:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Jeanie said:
I do too, and I get tears when I hear "My Old Kentucky Home." Stephen C. Foster, the composer, is from Pittsburgh. He also wrote "I Dream of Jeanie With the Dark Brown Hair." For me? He must have seen into the future; he spelled Jeanie correctly! :D
It's light brown hair, not dark brown hair.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Joyce, I know the title. (I'd better, as a music teacher). However, I have dark brown hair, and the song helps people remember my name. It's just a joke, of course.

There is a Stephen Foster Memorial beside the Cathedral of Learning, a part of the University of Pittsburgh, which contains some original manuscripts, etc. I always urge my students to visit the Memorial.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I got to see Barbaro up close and in person in early April, that horse is a Monster. He's just oozing muscle....

I fell in love instantly :D .......was SOOO thrilled to see him win......I really don't think he needs the time in between races, his Trainer had the TC in mind when getting him ready, he just wanted him to be fresh and have enough left in him for the next two.

here's some shots:

His Sexy behind, lol.

From afar:

and one more:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts