Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are knocking everything over and and making my Christmas miserable. They are going into my train tunnel and knocking over my trains.

I actually don’t know how they manage to get as far as they do without wiping out everything, but most of the damage is done when they get frightened and run off. :crying

I ran out of SSSCAT and ordered more, but I hope they don’t destroy everything before it gets here. The trains are too loud to keep running all night and I can’t catch all 5 cats to lock them up. Well I guess that’s what I get for making the display so big.

I wish I could figure out how to insert a YouTube video

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
OMG,:yikes that is one FANTASTIC display! You've got like 4 (?maybe more?) trains going and so~ many cool houses and lights there, it's literally Chirstmas City!! :thumb All you need is Santa, his elves and the reindeers! :crazy

Guess I can't blame the kitties for being so curious and wanting to go in there, looks so much fun, lol. :devil Hope the ssscat devices help, I think I'd be worried the display would be in shambles if it were my two, especially G.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I just caught Sebastian capturing and kidnapping one of the Ice skaters and I’m afraid there may be none left by tomorrow.

Here are the Ice Skaters

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
OMG! Johnny,
That is Spectacular! So much work and artistry in that...
I love Trains! I used to take my lunch break in Portland, OR, where I could watch and listen to them!!

Absolutely a Breath taking display!
No wonder the cats are so intrigued!
Sharon

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Sharon,
Well the ice skater’s survived the night, but I’m afraid that Santa’s Village on top looks like a typhoon hit it. Luckily I rigged up a mechanism to unlock and open a corner window for access to Santa’s Village and to the trains in the tunnel from the outside.:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,855 Posts
Are you kidding me?? All those moving pieces are just magnets for kitties! It would be the rare cat or kitten that could ignore that winter wonderland! Your only option would be to hire me as a guard. I will work cheap, chunks of deliciously smooth white chocolate is all I ask, and I will stand guard and enjoy the show!

I had to disable the twinkle lights on my tree because they drove Polly nuts and she wanted to grab them. The stationary tree and lights she has largely ignored which I'm thankful for. You may need to set this up in another room, or forego it for a few years until they mature more.....or hire me.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Woah! If I were a cat,I would so ignore the sccat to get to that. OMG the lights and stuff. Gorgeous display!

Oh and hire Marcia above to keep meddling people from dragging me from all the fun glittery things.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL, well I just bought another attraction for the kitties, but not sure if I’ll have time to install it before my grandchildren show up for Christmas week. I bought a Santa's Ski Slope that will probably drive them wild.:devil

This is a video from someone else that shows the Ski Slope and their cat.

I’m not going to mount mine in the tree though. I’m modifying mine to add to the village and it will be right were the kitties can reach it.:roll:

Anyway this is the view I get to see when I’m kicked back in my recliner.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Builder,

You make the rest of our households look like amateurs when it comes to Christmas displays and decorating! I have to ask, are all those mostly Dept 56 pieces? I used to work in retail a while back, and remember seeing people's face just light up whenever we had new Christmas houses and villages in stock!

Seeing your display reminds me of walking through a quiet neighborhood cul-de-sac street during winter where almost ALL the houses had some sort of elaborate Christmas decorations on their property...from reindeers, Santa, nativity scene, popular cartoon character wood cutouts, complete with twinkling lights in the yard and all over the house! One or two also had a Christmas Village display similar to yours in their BIG front picture window! Getting a good photo was hard! The entire neighborhood and others visiting would stroll on through, admiring and enjoying each property's novel theme. It was dubbed, "Christmas Lane" in Hawaii, of all places, lol. No pressure living on that street during the holidays! Despite seeing all that, I've NEVER seen one as HUGE as yours, Lol. I think you'd win 1st place each time! :wink

·
Registered
836 Posts
Wow, that's a pretty awesome display! I can only imagine how much time it must take to put everything up! I've put up Christmas lights and two Christmas trees (with a lot of ornaments) so far, and that's probably taken me between 8 and 10 hours over the course of a few days. We still have more to do (front step, fireplace mantle, dining room, and family room), but I can't seeing that take as long as erecting a room-sized Christmas village comprised of tens of thousands of tiny moving parts.

Hm, tens of thousands of tiny moving parts? I wonder why the cats are so bent on destruction? :D Lol!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Builder,

You make the rest of our households look like amateurs when it comes to Christmas displays and decorating! I have to ask, are all those mostly Dept 56 pieces? I used to work in retail a while back, and remember seeing people's face just light up whenever we had new Christmas houses and villages in stock!

Seeing your display reminds me of walking through a quiet neighborhood cul-de-sac street during winter where almost ALL the houses had some sort of elaborate Christmas decorations on their property...from reindeers, Santa, nativity scene, popular cartoon character wood cutouts, complete with twinkling lights in the yard and all over the house! One or two also had a Christmas Village display similar to yours in their BIG front picture window! Getting a good photo was hard! The entire neighborhood and others visiting would stroll on through, admiring and enjoying each property's novel theme. It was dubbed, "Christmas Lane" in Hawaii, of all places, lol. No pressure living on that street during the holidays! Despite seeing all that, I've NEVER seen one as HUGE as yours, Lol. I think you'd win 1st place each time! :wink
No there are maybe one or 2 Dept 56 pieces that were gifts, but we have been collecting them from after Christmas sales for 20 Years. Since we only buy stuff on clearance we've had to pass on some pieces that we really liked.

Times have changed since we first started collecting and now we just don't see much on clearance plus the good ones are usually always gone by Halloween. This year therwas a couple of thing that I wanted, but by the time my wife and both agreed they weren't available.

Talking about outside lights I used to go nuts on outside light when the kids were young. The neighbors used to tease me by saying that their house lights were flickering. And once I heard that our house was in the paper as one of the places to go for Christmas lights. I had Santa and reindeer strung over my driveway. I have some photos, but I can't find them at the moment.

The neighborhood has changed now and I don't do what I use to.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, that's a pretty awesome display! I can only imagine how much time it must take to put everything up! I've put up Christmas lights and two Christmas trees (with a lot of ornaments) so far, and that's probably taken me between 8 and 10 hours over the course of a few days. We still have more to do (front step, fireplace mantle, dining room, and family room), but I can't seeing that take as long as erecting a room-sized Christmas village comprised of tens of thousands of tiny moving parts.

Hm, tens of thousands of tiny moving parts? I wonder why the cats are so bent on destruction? :D Lol!
I spend almost a month setting it up although each year I try to do it so that it is modular and just snaps together, but I keep changing or adding things which make that difficult. I take a week off work every year after thanksgiving to work on it.

Anyway I tried to take a video of Sebastian stalking my trolly car a little bit ago, but he took off as soon as he saw me.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a photo of Santa but its not the one that I was looking for.

This is one right after I put it up before I got the rest of it up, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Talking about outside lights I used to go nuts on outside light when the kids were young. The neighbors used to tease me by saying that their house lights were flickering. And once I heard that our house was in the paper as one of the places to go for Christmas lights. I had Santa and reindeer strung over my driveway. I have some photos, but I can't find them at the moment.

The neighborhood has changed now and I don't do what I use to.
I think neighborhoods have changed, yes. We don't like strangers coming into our property for the most part, and value our privacy. But Christmas lights have now become computerized, synched with music and starts as early as Halloween themed songs and decorations, too. The bright flashy lights keeps people admiring from afar, and I don't think all this attention will drive burglars into your home, especially at night, lol.

I enjoyed these two, but there are many, many more on YouTube.
http://youtu.be/BW3OnPVf46U

http://youtu.be/bua18A09xfQ

I think it all started with Ellen's show premiering of someone's elaborate lighting on their house around Halloween a few years ago, using that catchy "Gangnam Style" by Psy.

http://youtu.be/wLcC7PS9CJI

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am speechless. That is so beautiful. I bet the kids love it.
Thanks and yes it was a big hit in the neighborhood except for one “artsy” neighbor who thought blown plastic was tacky. I told her that it wasn’t about her and that it was all about the kids who actually loved it. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts