Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to get some pics of my new boy, Hobochangba (aka "Boba") the other day, and caught Pfeffa peeking around the corner at him...

Here's one of Pfeffa looking a bit more like the lady she is...

And a shot of Hobochangba plotting ways to get those baby birds outside...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
You have such pretty kitties - give them hugs from me ..they look so soft -yum! :wink:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They *are* soft kitties - Hobochangba is actually much softer than Pfeffa - although Pfeffa is much fluffy-er (fluffier?).

I've never had a striped cat before Hobochangba...I'm still mesmerized by his coat. So pretty.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you - "Pfeffa" is from the book Watership Down by Richard Adams. It's a book about a group of rabbits, and in their world, "Pfeffa" means cat. Pfeffa also has a bit of a rabbit look to her legs (her tibia's are way longer than her femur's...or something like that) so it all seemed appropriate.

"Hobo chang ba" is a name of a song on Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica album. During our negotiations on getting another cat, my husband stated that if we could name a new cat "Hobochangba" he'd definitely be willing to get a new cat...I agreed immediately :wink:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hahahaha cute story. That's funny that you mention "Watership Down," I'm about to read it once I'm done with my book now hehe. I have read "The Plague Dogs" by the same author and I just loved it. It's really hard to read sometimes (it's about two dogs that escape an animal-research facility) but it was a wonderful book.

I'm with you, I'd have named your cat "Hobochangba" too. Hehehe. What kind of music is it??

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've read The Plague Dogs also - it *is* a difficult read at times. Watership Down is a *great* book. I've probably read it 10 times since I was younger. I also have another book by him called "Shardik", about a bear, but I've never successfully read it.

And - oh yeah - there was no question when I agreed to the name. I did try a few times early on after we got our new guy to re-name him, but it wasn't successful, and now it's stuck. He's Hobochangba.

The music is really, really weird...very loose (barely forming songs, barely has a beat and you certainly cannot dance to it) and Beefheart has a very gravel-y voice. Mike likes it. The song "Ella Garu" is also from that album, and is, in my opinion, the best and most recognizable song he may have done. If we had found a female kitty, it would have been named Ella Garu, by the way.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hahaha, I'll have to check it out. So it's not instrumental?

And I'm gonna get this book done so that I can start on "Watership Down." I have heard good things about "Shardik" too.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No - there are definitely words being "sung". It's certainly not my taste, but I can respect the creative spirit and uniqueness of this guy. I do like the song Ella Garu (it occasionally pops into my head and gets stuck there).

And, speaking of Boba:

Here's Pfeffa looking like she has three front legs. She's completely comfortable sitting like this, and often sleeps in a similar position.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The Lurker, the lady etc

Hey, Ospunkyo respect to the Captain!
I actually saw the Magic Band (Beefheart's old band) playing live right here in England about 2 weeks ago. My partner is really more into them than me, but I found it a fanastic experience to see them live. in fact I was going to start a thread about it but I didn't have time.
They are all so old, but still look so *cool* 8) 8) 8)
The music is incredible - my partner is a musician and he found it jaw-dropping.
John French ('drumbo') does the vocals now - its a real tribute to the Captain.
Right, that's enough off topic from me.
Your cats are great
:D

seashell

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pfeffa could defintely master the art of yoga - I love her little black toed feet too.

Seashell - sadly, I'm basing my Beefheart review on one quick listen from a few weeks back (I wanted to hear the song we were naming our cat after) - the song Hobo chang ba is so different from anything I've ever heard, as are many of his songs. I definitely appreciate the musicianship - bands like that (I'm thinking of Zappa) are amazing and so underappreciated. I, like you, have a partner who is way more into Beefheart than me and would *love* to see the Magic Band - do they ever come to the states?

Okay...back to topic...I love my kitties and agree with you all - they are pretty. Thank you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts