Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a job interview this morning, my dad has been bending over backwards to get me this interview with the company he works for and I finally hear back from them (it's taken 6 months and two previous interviews, and I still have a drug test and a physical test to do if I get hired). Just about to leave and am in no way in a rush as its only a 10-15 minute drive from the house if I take the 401. Well just as I'm leaving what do I hear? "401 has been shut down due to a major accident involving a tractor trailer roll over and fire" I flipped out, ran back upstairs to find another way to get there which at this point is going to be useless because any other way is going to be backed up. Mom phones to make sure I heard and that I had another way of getting there, hang up start driving half an hour later I'm only 3 minutes up the road from the house and freaking out because I'm going to be late and not get the job now. Phone mom, she says she'll call my dad's manager and he should be able to get in touch with the guy that was supposed to interview me and it wouldn't be looked down upon if I'm late.

She calls back, I still haven't moved, says everything is OK, they understand. I relax... slightly. Over an hour later I get there and the interview lasts 10-15mins... if even that.

Hop in the car, thinking I'm being smart I take the same way back as the other lane was clear coming in and I was sure the 401 was still clogged. Another hour until I finally pulled into the drive. I was spitting angry, as I was sure it was some jerk truck driver pushing his weight around on the highway that caused the accident as most truck drivers around here don't care if your beside them or not when they want to come over in your lane they just come on over and you better move quick.

To say the least I think I completely screwed up on the interview as I was so upset about being late and he didn't help with being so cold and stiff. Ugh, I can't stand people like that they make me nervous and I was nervous enough already.

So I check on some news sites to see what happened and wanting to confirm my thoughts. They haven't an idea yet what really went down but from what I have gathered the semi carrying the pigs was involved in a accident with a small car and a pick-up truck and some 50 pigs "spilled" onto the highway forcing police to close down both sides of the highway for over two hours so they could herd the pigs into another truck. Two of the people have been seriously injuried but there is no other news about it. I'm hoping they will be OK. I feel sorry for those poor pigs as well...

I feel awful for being so upset now when I think of those people that were involved and those poor pigs. :(

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about all that! It's Murphy's Law of interviewing -- if traffic can screw you over, it will. Well, if the guy was cold and stiff he's probably not someone you would want to work for anyway. And who knows, it may have gone better than you think. Good luck with it . . .

·
Banned
804 Posts
man....things always happen in threes...

highway shuts due to huge accident
alternate route takes an extra hour
...and pigs...

i wouldnt worry about the job, you probably did fine. jobs like those tend to take a long time to get but you benefit greatly from them. have faith in yourself. obviously if they have interviewed you multiple times they see something they like in you...so have faith :D :) :D

·
Super Moderator
26,538 Posts
Sounds like one of those pigs took quite a tumble and landed in your interviewer's chair. 8O

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nobody likes him there but if I get hired alot of people hardly ever deal with him as he's up in the office and everyone else is in the warehouse adn have a manager down there to go to with problems, etc. So I wouldn't have to deal with him unless there was some big trouble. 8O

True Willow, they have two interviews before sending you to the big guy/pig and I'm guessing by that point they have it pretty worked out who big guy is going to like and who he isn't.

It would just be an awsome job, great pay, benefits, vacation time, they have warehouses all over the place so if I wanted to move I could stay within the company just to go a different building. I'd start at 6am and finish by 2pm, gives me a good part of the day to spend with my babies and get things done. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this.

Huge said:
If he was really that cold and stiff he was probably dead, and not worth bothering with :D
Well if he wasn't dead he wasn't pretty close to it. :lol:

marie73 said:
Sounds like one of those pigs took quite a tumble and landed in your interviewer's chair. 8O
I think so too. :lol:

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Yikes, not an easy day at all! I really hope you get the job after all that, sounds like the pay and benefits would be worth it for you! Keep us posted!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would be great and I'd be able to afford a newer car as mine is looking pretty bad. I was told to invest in a tank for my next car. :lol:

I now have to wait 10 business days to know if they want to hire me or not. I don't understand why it takes so long. Then they take a strand of hair and send it to a Lab in Cali. Are there no Labs here in Canada to do the same test jeez. Oh well, hopefully all this will be worth it!

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
It amazes me all the loopholes you have to go through to get a job. Do you have to go to a dr's office to get the hair follicle done, or do you just send it in yourself?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's insane, this has been going on for 6 months or so now.

They have a nurse that comes in to get the hair follicle and then they send it out.

Then depending on what that test says (which I have no worries about it) I then get to do another test to see how fit I am, yet I'll be driving a pump truck type machine and wont be lifting anything.

I thinks it a little overkill.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Maybe you should start lifting weights now to get in shape for your test ?!?!?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
What the **** IS this job? Lab ratperson?

I work for a University, and I didn't even have to prove my age...

I reckon a lot of jobs here require no more than good references, a bit of luck and a fair amount of skill in the actual job.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the only job I've had to do all this for. It's insane, it's a job in itself to go to all these interviews and do all these tests (there was a series of testing before the first interview)

It's a food distribution company that delivers to restaurants all over North America, I’ll be working in the warehouse with my dad taking the skids off the tractor trailers and putting them away in bays until they are shipped out.

They also required references that they send to their main building down in California were the lab is that does the drug testing... apparently they can't make the time to call three phone numbers here in Canada. :roll:

·
Banned
804 Posts
its a union job isnt it. :) that explains it all. alot of time, here in canada, businesses take forever to hire you if they have a really good union because they want to make sure you are worth every penny that they are going to have to be dishing out. it took Nate over 6 months before they took him for his final blood/urine tests and interview with the Vancouver Airport as a gas/water mains and maintenance plumber....but geez ive got to say its worth the wait. his union is amazing. including 3 weeks paid time off a year for vacation, full medical/dental/vision and premiums for weekends, night shifts and holidays (a whoping tripletime and a half if he works a nightshift weekend on a holiday)

I really hope and pray you get the job. if you do, you will be blessed because most canadian unions take really good care of their people.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I've been hired! I have an orientation this morning and then start on Monday. I'll be working from 4pm - 12am but at least I'm home during the day with my babies and I get the weekends off as well as benefits.

What I'm not thrilled about is hearing that allot of people aren't happy that I'm going to be working there, they claim the managers are playing favorites with my dad in doing this. My cousin who also works there says not to worry, they just needed a topic to rant and witch about for the day and are probably onto a different topic now if not he'll deal with it as his shift will be over lapping mine, my dad works in the mornings so I wont be seeing him.

Well, I'm off. Get to come home and try to find Cole, haven't seen him since yesterday morning and I have a funny feeling he's in the wall. 8O

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Congrats on the hire! ...hey, people will talk, that's what they do when they don't have enough to occupy their time. :wink:
Why do you think Cole is in the wall? 8O

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
You think Cole is in the wall?!?

Congratulations on the new job.

·
Banned
5,531 Posts
Glad you got the job! Thats great!!

Wheres Cole? ;)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alrighty, day went well. But I'm glad its over and I can be back home again. Start training on Monday at 7am and then once training is done I'll start my 4pm shifts. The two people that were with us today doing health and safety really like my dad and were telling a few of the people there today that he was one of the best theyand hardest working they had... he was also their best visual of what NOT to do when driving the machines around lol. He drove one of them through a wall not once but twice a few years ago when they moved a large door that used to be there for that machine and he forgot. :roll:

Came home and started looking for Cole, even got the OH off his butt to help turn the house upside down. Found him... He wasn't in the wall like I thought be he was beside it behind the barrier I put up there. I moved it out of the way thinking he might have gotten passed it and there he was. Scared me silly, I screeched when he appear from behind the barrier and he gave me a look that could have killed you. :twisted: He's run off again now...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts