Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where to start about an intro.
Why I am here: I want to read more about Deaf cats. Learn more about what others do with their deaf cat.
I have had at least 1 cat most of my life, but this is the first deaf cat that I have ever had.
Currently my family and I have 6 cats, 2 outside, 1 indoor/outdoor, 3 indoor young kitties.
I will tell a little about each cat.
Ninja: male a bit over a year old (indoor/outdoor) he is a big boy of love and snuggles. He was the cat of the teenage girl next door; she took him in as a kitten and tamed him. When he was about 3 months old, she left to live with her dad and the cat was out on his own, we had at that time a very old outdoor cat that came with the house (Miss Kitty) so the food was there. Ninja would come over to eat, drink, get love and pretty much just stayed. We are now his humans and we pay the vet bills.
Pirate: male a bit over a year old (outdoor, part feral), He was born a few weeks after Ninja from another stray cat. He was the runt of that litter, his real brothers and sisters would not let him feed and he was sickly looking for a few months after birth. Once he was able to move on his own, he followed Ninja to our house and got food, water and love. They are now best friends and when he was young he would not go anyplace with Ninja. Now he is as healthy as can be and loves to chase birds and climb trees. He only likes to be touched if he comes to you, if we approach him he runs and hides, he is getting better and more trusting of us. We are now his humans and we pay the vet bills.
Viking: female, (outdoor) feral, she was a barn cat from an abandoned farm down the road; she would come over to get food after Miss Kitty was done eating and not looking. After Miss Kitty passed, she was around more and more hanging with Ninja and Pirate, than she moved into our shed to be closer to the food, and I found 4 little ones in there on 30 Apr 2011, we didn't want them to be feral too, so at about 6 weeks we brang them inside our sun room to wean and tame. (More about them soon). We are now her humans (I think) and we paid the vet bill to get her fixed.
Vamp (AKA Crooked face), male (indoor) one of Vikings babies that we took in. He got his name by being the first to bite me and make me bleed while being taken from the shed to the sunroom. He's a young cat that is really mellow.
Wolfie (General Wolverine Light-year), male (indoor) one of Vikings babies that we took in, got his name by scratching and hissing like a Wolverine as he was being tamed. Sleek, thin and a wild little cuss. Very explorative and seems to be the leader of the 3 young cats we have.
Tron, male, deaf, (indoor), we got him when my wife brought Vamp and Wolfie to the vet to get the first round of shots and a checkup. He was very very little and was in a foster home. My wife agreed to take him in and see if he would get along with the month older Vamp and Wolfie. They got along great and made him as their little brother. We found out he was deaf by just doing basic tests around the house and how he responds to certain things. The vacuum has no effect on him at all, playing guitar hero with the surround sound up, he don't care. Before we knew he was deaf, he tried to chase the weed eater, lawn mower and 4-wheeler. When he sleeps he has to be touching another brother or human. Now that we know we won't let him outside anymore and we are learning to use vibrations and movements more than words with him.
Interesting fact is our 16 year old daughter is mostly deaf, so Tron and she have really bonded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Past cats

Macy: We got her back in late 2000 while in Tennessee from the Day care place the kids went too, she was about 8 months - 1 year old when we got her, and has lived in TN, VA and NC.
Just a few weeks ago, she was in stage (something) liver failure, from FIV. She would not take the drugs the vet gave my wife to give her, and was dehydrated. Every time she would eat, she would just puke it up, she lost a lot of weight, was very tired and getting mean from being so sick. My wife and I did not want her to suffer anymore. On 29 JUL 2011 she had to be put to rest.

Her favorite things to do was “play hand” that is where she would bite and or paw at your hand, ‘Play rug’ where she would run and slide on the hard wood floors with a throw rug on it, and chase moths on the porch. Just before my wife and I would get all settled in to bed at night, Macy would come up on the bed for her nightly loving, kind of like a kid telling about their day just before bed time.

Miss Kitty: In April 2010 we bought our house in Dunn, NC. The cat was already living on the property and the owner we bought the house from made sure she was fed and had water for the past 15 (ish) years. We are not sure how old Miss Kitty was, but the neighbor girl said Miss Kitty cat was born before she was, so that is how I came up with 15(ish). I would go out and make sure Miss Kitty had food and water, and one day I was sitting in the garage looking where I was going to place things, and Miss Kitty brought me a bird to share with her. That is when I knew she accepted me as her human. She got lots of love and I let her have the bird all to herself (it was only fair).
In Dec 2010 we went out of town for a week and the neighbor girl was caring for and feeding Miss Kitty, making sure she had water and not ice. On Xmas Day Miss Kitty was last seen walking up the road, and never seen again. I am hoping she got into someone’s car or truck and they took her home un knowingly but after they found her is giving her lots of love. She has been known to jump into people’s cars or trucks and take a ride with them. We had the Gas people come to the house to install a new gas fireplace and Miss Kitty jumped into the back of gas guy’s pick-up. He went down the road a few miles, looked out his rear-view mirror and saw Miss Kitty looking back at him. He turned around and came back to the house asking if this was my cat. From that time on, Jokingly, I call him the cat napper.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the Cat Forum! So in total, you have seven cats? Am I right or not? Can't wait until pictures of your fur family!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello and Welcome to the Cat Forum! So in total, you have seven cats? Am I right or not? Can't wait until pictures of your fur family!

well, yes and no, we have 6 around or in the house and 1 has been missing since DEC 2010, so total 7.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sounds like a wonderful little fur family! And the coincidence with Tron & your daughter's hearing is so special. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts