Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love The Onion.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/an ... s_on_every

There are days when I feel that this describes the people in power perfectly. That there actually are a few sane "sticklers" who want to really think things through and do it right while the loonies in the majority make fun of the sticklers as they slowly, but surely drive us into a bigger and bigger mess.

Who's with me?

:)

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
This remark, from your site, and by James Reid is ridiculous! His life depends on the condition of the shuttle!

He's making the flight engineers review the ship for two days? I can see it from here. It's fine," James Reid said. "The equipment's good, the fuel's good, the gyroscopic compass that keep us from floating aimlessly out into the vacuum space is good. What more does he want?"
Added Reid, "I'm starting to hope our shuttle disintegrates just to spite that guy."
He can see it? That's not very reassuring! He wants it to disintegrate? Who's the loonie?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry?

Not sure I understand. It's not my site, it's The Onion, a fake news site...sort of the online version of the Daily Show or Saturday Night Live (at least when SNL is doing political satire). And I was just commenting that the real world seems this way, that sometimes, the higher ups want to quickly push through certain agendas/plans/technologies without really thinking about the big picture while a cautious few want to take a step back for a little bit...though perhaps not quite as exaggerated as this article clearly is.

Anyway, I found it amusing and just wanted to share. Nothing more.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
I like it. I don't think Jeanie knows that the entire site is a spoof.

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
Velvet, I was agreeing with you, assuming that the site was genuine. I just quoted Reid to indicate that. It was the site you quoted. Rather than typing out the source, I referred to your documentation.

No, Marie, I didn't understand thqt the site was a spoof. The story seemed credible :?: :?: These things actually happen in real life. Well, I guess I'm the fool here. I would venture to guess, however, that I might choose a reference some other members are not acquainted with.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Don't worry, Jeanie, you're not alone. I sent someone an article from a site in England which is also "fake" (The Daily Mash) and they thought it was a real news story. It had to do with the plane that landed in the water and how all the passengers kept saying how much better it was than landing at Heathrow. :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well then I misunderstood as well. Sorry 'bout that Jeanie.

And you're right. It IS believable...take out the crazy sarcasm and you've got a fairly accurate picture of what actually goes on in the world. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I've loved the Onion for years. It appeals perfectly to my irreverent sense of humor. I'd repeat two of my favorite headlines from the Onion, but I'm pretty sure it would offend people.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Jeanie said:
No, Marie, I didn't understand thqt the site was a spoof. The story seemed credible :?: :?: These things actually happen in real life. Well, I guess I'm the fool here.
A few years ago, The Onion ran a story about congress wanting a retractable dome on the Capital building, China took off with it as fact and ran it as front page news. :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts