Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I’m always hoping for the most awesome forever homes for my fosters. With my blind kitties I especially hoped there would be families out there, which understood blind cats and would adopt my blind girls into their homes. This was sthe first time Ive dealt with a cat with disabilities and to find the right home.

I went out and saw Laverne, my blind kitty, at her beaurtiful new home yesterday. The couple that adopted her are wonderful people. They rescue goats and rescued 2 baby pigs that fell off a truck going to the slaughterhouse.

Yale the husband told us a sweet story of their first blind cat. Yale was at an ASPCA meeting and afterward he said he wanted to adopt the most unadoptable cat they had. They brought out a blind kitty to him. It was Kathleens birthday and he gave her the blind kitty as her present.

Oh that there were a million more people out there like them! They have an organization called SWIVL

http://swivl.org/

Their mission: Changing Public Policy Through Personal Initiative / Ending Animal Cruelty- Child Abuse-Domestic Violence. They work in the schools and with scout troops, churches. They have a herd of rescue goats and pigs and dogs and cats. We got to visit with all the animals. It was so much fun.

Again I hit the jackpot finding a forever family for my blind kitty Laverne. I know she will be understood, loved and cared for just as I had wished for!

Their goats!

·
Registered
82 Posts
The couple that took Laverne in sound like such amazing people! They are doing such a wonderful thing with rescuing animals in need. I'm sure Laverne will be loved and taken care of for many, many years! I'm glad that you were able to find such special, and rare people for a special and rare kitty, perfect match!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd really like to do that someday - go into a shelter and adopt the most unadoptable cat they have, and love on him or her and give them a good home no matter what. Kudos to these people for being so kind!

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
You certainly did hit the jackpot, I'm so happy for you, and them.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
That's great! What fantastic people! We don't need a million of them, we need a billion of them! And to think that these people have even had a blind cat before! They'll know what to expect. You really did hit the jackpot with them! And you're so great for fostering a blind cat, too.

Do the proud new owners have any other cats in the house? This is kind of unrelated considering it's about dogs, but the reason I ask is because I read in my local paper a few weeks ago about a dog that became blinded from a cougar attack and then the owners (after thousands of dollars of life saving surgery) realised their blind lil guy was depressed now that he was blind; he had lost the will to do anything at all. They bought a puppy for him thinking it would cheer him up... and although it took awhile, their blind dog eventually started following the puppy everywhere! They became inseparable buddies. Their puppy became their older dogs seeing eye dog! It was a fantastic story.

The story was likely a one in a million, but I was thinking if the new owners had other cats, the blind kitty might come to depend on them like that dog did, or at least have a companion to keep their mind busy. I've never had any experience with a blind cat or dog unless it's due to old age - so I don't really know what's best for them, and luckily, these people sound like they will!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts