Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I admit I can spend a bit of time on the computer some days, especially when I feel bad. I usually sit on my bed cross legged while I type. I have noticed that the cats seem to favor sleeping right in front of me pressed against my legs. They have learned over the past years that I will pet and rub, and general scratch any spot they wish to put under my hand, all without thinking of it automatically. I will look down and find a cat totally blissed out in a deep sleep and my fingers in the fur, no telling how long the petting had been going on, but enough long enough to completely conk out whatever cat got the spot. As soon as that cat moves another immediately dives for this choice spot.

Anyone else seem to pet cats automatically, no forthought? fully trained by your furry companions, or should I get a new desk?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Yes, it happens to me sometimes. It's healthy both to the cat and to the one doing the petting, this absent-minded petting.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I don't have this problem, lol. Apollo doesn't like to pet on a lot of the time, so he does his thing, I do mine.

HOWEVER - he has become happy with the fact that he gets to nap on me as often as he wants. He has 2 play-things that he can sleep on that are a few feet off the ground, AND he has taken residence in my wooden gliding chair, BUT... he'd rather sleep curled up (or stretched out) on my lap. I don't know if it's because it's always chilly in my apartment and he generates more warmth when he's on me, or if he just secretly loves me and wants to be close to me while he sleeps. This is the only time I can really pet him, but I can't do it absent-mindedly, as he is still a jerk and he will wake up and attack my arm just for being in his personal space. If he's really sleeping, he'll let me pet his face and chin, and sometimes he'll let out a little chirp/purr.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts