Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we got our Ragamuffin, we already had a cat, which we adopted from a petstore. We didn't know about the breed of the first cat we adopted, we figured him to be a turkish angora mixed with something else, and we still believe that. We didn't care much to find out about it. When we got our second cat, he immediately struck us as the atypical cat. He would follow us around, run to us when we call him, greet us at the door, roll around exposing his belly, and pretty much does not leave us alone...EVER. It wasn't until we saw a pic of a cat that looked liked him, and found out it was a Ragamuffin. We did some research into this type of Cat and the description fit perfectly.

We do love both of our cats, but the little Ragamuffin is absolutely adorable, and I think we both just love the fact that he hangs around. I wonder how expensive it is to buy a purebred Ragamuffin, and why it isn't the most bought cat since, from what I read and experienced, they are such loving cats.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Frankly, I don't think your second cat has any Ragamuffin in him. And I'm 99.99% sure your first cat has no Turkish Angora in him either (you do know that all Turkish Angora cats can be traced back to Ankara Zoo, right?).

Ragamuffin comes in all colors except colorpoint (by CFA standard, and I think TICA don't accept Ragamuffin, not sure about other association though). So to untrained eyes (who cannot distinguish slightly different head/body/ear/etc. types), almost all non-colorpoint longhaired cats look like a Ragamuffin. Temperment is NEVER an indicator of breed. There are tons of cat breeds, as well as moggies, who are affectionate as you discribed in your own cat.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Ragdoll servant here. Post a pic and I'll tell tell you how Raggish your cat is.

Tuffted paws?

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
All long haired cats have tufted paws...not an indicator of breed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
its very hard to know the breed of a cat unless you get it from a breeder with proof of its bloodline, everyone wants their cat to be "Special" and try and place it in a breed group but the odds are that you probably just have a mixed cat that kind of looks like a certain breed, alot of people with long haired cats that are flame or seal pointed like to assume ragdoll or himalayan and alot of people like to label their long haired tabbys as mainecoons. Shelters have even admitted to placing breedmix titles on their cats because they have a higher likelyhood of getting a home if a breed name is attached to it even though they have no actual proof that the shelter cat is mixed with a certain breed.

if you want an extremely lovable breed you should look into cornish rexes, theyre amazing...but I'm biased, I own two :)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Ragamuffins and Ragdolls are VERY popular. Pet quality is abot $600 or $700. Ragamuffins are a tad more expensive. The Ragamuffins have more genetic variability so healthier.

Breedists insist on papers because they paid too much for their cats

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I love my Ragdoll! Can't wait to get another :) We are waiting until our kitten is 1 year first ;) I would love to get a Tortie....

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Breedists insist on papers because they paid too much for their cats
So...Breedists are those who practice breedism. Breedism is the the act of breed discrimination. So if someone feels the need to place their cat of unknown origins into the category of a breed, aren't they in fact a Breedist since they are discriminating against the lack of known breed in the cat?

Since breedism is equated to racism, isn't the person who feels they must classify a cat into a specific breed the equivalent of the person who must categorize every human they meet by race, religion or country of origin?

Yes, technically I'm a breedist because I have a purebred cat. On the other hand, I don't try to force my DSH cats into a breed category. And no I didn't pay too much for my cat...she's worth every penny and more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So...Breedists are those who practice breedism. Breedism is the the act of breed discrimination. So if someone feels the need to place their cat of unknown origins into the category of a breed, aren't they in fact a Breedist since they are discriminating against the lack of known breed in the cat?

Since breedism is equated to racism, isn't the person who feels they must classify a cat into a specific breed the equivalent of the person who must categorize every human they meet by race, religion or country of origin?

Yes, technically I'm a breedist because I have a purebred cat. On the other hand, I don't try to force my DSH cats into a breed category. And no I didn't pay too much for my cat...she's worth every penny and more.

very well put! I've owned all types of cats and the 2 purebreds I own now were worth every cent I paid for them. I also must say that I like having their bloodline papers, its neat to see their parents and grandparents. It also makes it easy to know what traits and health issues have been directly linked to the family my pet comes from. Its helpful.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Frankly, I don't think your second cat has any Ragamuffin in him. And I'm 99.99% sure your first cat has no Turkish Angora in him either
Agree, pet shops are either getting kittens from byb's/mills or calling moggies certain breeds. Always overcharge and don't provide papers (since reputable breeders don't sell to pet shops)

Ragamuffins and Ragdolls are VERY popular
Ragdolls are popular, Ragamuffins less so.

All long haired cats have tufted paws...not an indicator of breed.
Exactly, nothing to do with breed at all.

Breedists insist on papers because they paid too much for their catsr
Incorrect. Papers are part of owning a pedigree cat, they prove that you got what you paid for.
Instead of people having moggies of unknown origins and calling them a breed, even if they slightly resemble a breed or coat pattern since pedigree cats make up less than 3% of the feline population the odds of finding a purebred cat anywhere is quite slim.

Very well said!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
| Since breedism is equated to racism, isn't the person who feels they must classify a cat into a specific breed the equivalent of the person who must categorize every human they meet by race, religion or country of origin? |

No, the people who demand papers, proof of gernetic genetic purity are...well that was WW II

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no idea whether my cat is a raggamuffin, we just think he is because of the way he looks like and because of his behavior. We adopted him from the petstore and he wasn't anymore expensive than any other cat. I am sure he is no purebreed, but the definition of a ragamuffin really fits him. He is just such a great cat to have a around, a real helper around the house and funny guy to have around.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have no idea whether my cat is a raggamuffin, we just think he is because of the way he looks like and because of his behavior. We adopted him from the petstore and he wasn't anymore expensive than any other cat. I am sure he is no purebreed, but the definition of a ragamuffin really fits him. He is just such a great cat to have a around, a real helper around the house and funny guy to have around.
I know what you mean. I adopted both my cats from shelters, but my mom is totally convinced that Ganymede is a purebred Siberian. She has very bad cat allergies and has never reacted to him. He also plays fetch and has other personality traits of the Siberian cats (and Ragdolls, for that matter). I'm pretty sure he came from a hoarder, so he could be purebred of some sort, but he is small, only about 9lbs so probably not Siberian. No matter what he is, I love him!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Wow! I've noticed what a hot button this question is for some people. First I would actually like to say there are plenty of purebred cats in shelters. Many of them end up there because people don't realize what's involved in some of the intense care it takes to own certain types.
I also think it's fair to assume that there is a possibility that there are types of breeds in some cats found in shelters and a certain trait from that breed becomes apparent in said cat that gets adopted.
I would also think that if you are adopting a cat from a shelter, that you are not a "breedist" or interested in saying you own a such and such type of cat. But that it is just pure fun to try and figure out what your baby is made up of.
Maybe I'm reading these posts wrong, and if I am, then, my bad. But it just seems like some people get a little unnerved by people who just want to know if you see a certain type of breed in their cat.........dsh's, purebreds, moggies; I love them all, and own them too. Worth every penny, free and paid for.

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
I don't have papers for Cleo, but I know she's 100% panther.

And the twinz? A new breed. Calibratz. 100%.

I got Cinderella for free from Craigslist, with her papers. But if he had taken her to the shelter, it's doubtful he would have included them. So someone would have adopted a purebred Birman from the local Humane Society. It happens. And I'm sure there would be people telling whoever adopted her that no way did they get a purebred Birman from a shelter.

You never know.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I use to work at a shelter and there were a few purebreds there. The most common was Siamese (occasionally) and Persian(more common because of the fur... They'd come in all matted up).

Anything that had blue eyes or kind of looked like another breed was classified as a breed x. I have seen a Balinese x, ragdoll x(although it had short hair so doubt it was) and a Siamese x(blue eyes but no other similarities).

So it is possible but when it's labelled as a cross then you really don't know if it has what they claim it has in them... It's all a guess. It's the same with mutt dogs that are brought in as strays.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
My Vet has a purbred Ragdoll to place now. She gets first pic from clients who can't keep their cats anymore.....nursing home entry, death etc. Purebreds do fall on hard times.

·
Registered
786 Posts
My Vet has a purbred Ragdoll to place now. She gets first pic from clients who can't keep their cats anymore.....nursing home entry, death etc. Purebreds do fall on hard times.
The point people are trying to make is that there's no proof of pedigree without papers. Of course there was purebreds in rescues and shelters , but one would not be able to say show them as there is no proof it's not a mixed cat that looks like a breed... Again not to say that it's not purebred. In the future I will probably rescue a ragdoll without papers... The older girl I did so happened to have papers because she was an ex show/breeder... I would have still gotten her without them and still called her a purebred. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts