Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to my Mom earlier today who asked me if I heard that Wal-Mart was closed today. I hadn't but she told me that part the roof near the line of cash registers began bowing, so they closed the store, brought some cranes in and have been cleaning off the roof today. Pretty dumb, if you ask me, to let as much snow as we've had pile up without cleaning it off when you have a business as large as Wal-Mart. Luckily, there were no injuries or anything and they caught it in time before the whole thing caved in.

Our forecast is looking bleak this week; blizzard expected tonight through tomorrow and highs of about 10 to 15 below for the next few days. PLUS, we could get another 4-5 inches of snow tomorrow and 9 expected on Wednesday.

CALGONE, TAKE ME AWAY!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
It was bowing because of SNOW?

Wow.

Good job they cleared it. I've read stories about them suddenly just collapsing.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Oh, wow! :yikes Glad they cleared it, but it sounds like they maybe waited a bit to long before getting the job done. Glad no one was hurt though, that could have been a very bad situation!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OwnedByACat said:
Oh, wow! :yikes Glad they cleared it, but it sounds like they maybe waited a bit to long before getting the job done. Glad no one was hurt though, that could have been a very bad situation!
Yeah, I know. I'm not exactly sure when the problem was noticed but they never opened up on Sunday and will keep the doors closed for the next couple days until they have inspected the rest of the roof. It's a 24-hour Wal-Malmart but we have a law in North Dakota stating that retail businesses have to closed at Midnight between Saturday and Sunday and aren't allowed to open up again until Noon Sunday. The only exclusion is grocery stores and restaurants.

Huge said:
It was bowing because of SNOW?
Yeah, snow is pretty heavy once you have 1-1/2 to 2 feet of it spread all over your roof. Plus, a big store like that doesn't have enough inside walls and vertical support beams helping the roof to withstand that kind of pressure.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Ok I won't feel jealous of you anymore Jo. No idea what would happen if we got that much. We'd probably join the swallows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts