Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I've noticed that Skeeter won't eat right out of his food bowl. He uses his paws to scoop a little onto the floor, eats that bit, then repeats. He only JUST started this behaviour, but I can't figure out why. We put his new Fresh Flow fountain in the same area as his food bowl (but not right next to it), could this have something to do with it? I just don't want him to get used to eating so messily.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Both of our cats are the same exact way. The only reasoning I can see for it is that they like to eat one piece at a time, which is hard to do when they'er all in a bowl together. Scully will put individual pieces on the floor, then pick them up and eat them. Quirky kitties...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quirky Kitties, indeed. :D I guess you have to figure that, when their food's all clumped up in the bowl, their nose might get smooshed into it when they are trying to take a bite. Good thought, spacemonkey! I wonder...would getting a flatter dish be more comfortable for Skeeter to eat out of?? Anyone else have any thoughts?

(BTW, it's been nice to read about the progress and growth of Scully's kittens. Keep up the posting!)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Our cats are the worst for this - we have started using a over tray for their food with a signle layer of food - stopped so much of the mess as well as some of the fights when they decide they are all going to eat at the same time

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cats can do strange things when they eat!

My orange tabby cat eats his food without chewing it - always has. He woofs it down so quickly he just swollows it - NO crunching!

My dollface persian (who acts like a dog) often scoops up a mouthful, carries it to another location, makes a little pile, then goes back for more food to increase the size of his pile. Only when the pile is just the right size will he eat it.
One time, when Windslow had just returned home from a vet visit, he made 4 good sized piles in different locations, then proceeded to eat each pile as the day went on. Odd, huh?? I suspect the pile-making has to do with him feeling secure about eating or having enough to eat, considering it was more pronounced that time he came home from the vets.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Tage has done the same thing for a while now. I noticed he mostly started doing it when he has competition for the food.
So he sneaks his little paw in there to pull out what he can.

He does the same thing from the Rat and Ferret cage when he can =P

·
Registered
865 Posts
Moby likes to take a mouthful from the bowl and eat it on my livingroom carpet. Frustrating, cause I can't sweep the crumbs.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Sugar is such a neat eater but Twinkie acts like someone is going to take his food so he puts a whole bunch in his mouth then lets all the rest dribble out except like one or two then doesn't even eat the sogged up ones that fell out of his mouth :!:

·
Registered
600 Posts
LOL..Madam must be related to Moby or something..she does the living room eating act too..also all the other rooms except the bathroom _that I know of. And our bed! I've heard of crumbs in the bed but this is ridiculous..wish she'd prefer tile to carpet :roll:

·
Registered
30 Posts
scooping

Sasha does the same thing, but not always. Only sometimes she will do it and sometimes she will scoop a little then eat a little out of the bowl. She usually only scoops one at a time out of the bowl when she does. I think that cats are pretty obsessive compulsive. so fun to watch though!

Rex

·
Banned
33 Posts
I had a cat that did that all the time. I always thought it was pretty funny, because he was always very tidy about it.

As best as I was ever able to guess, I always assumed that he just didn't like his whiskers to touch the sides of the bowl. The same cat also always drank out of the "wrong side" of the water bowl, which I assumed was for the same reason.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My buff tabby used to do that...so probably it is better to feed in a bowl with a larger diameter.

equestrian, do you feed you cats dry?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts