Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been away for a few weeks due to computer/internet problems, but I have to tell you about this.

I came home one day last week and there was a beautiful jet black, medium hair cat sitting at the corner of my house as if he (?) had been waiting for me. ("What time does this cafe open?") He was giving me the, "What don't you understand, stupid human?" stare.

I said, "Hello" as I got my keys out. He didn't move then, but as soon as the door was open he was there and slipped inside. I took a guess that he was hungry and went to the back door where I keep the kibble that I feed to the semi-abandoned gray cat I call Guy. (I've mentioned him before and I know where he used to live.) My house has an unfininished, ground level basement. I called him to come to the door, but it was "No! I have to explore this place first."

I propped the door open and went away to change my shoes. Shortly he found his way to the door and poked his head out. That's when I put some kibble into Guy's dish.

He looked at me and spoke for the first time; just the one meow. What was it? "Thank you." or "Is this the best you can do?" or "You can go now and leave me in peace to enjoy my lunch."

I gently closed the door and went about my business. He hasn't been back.

The thing is, I've had cats solicit temporary meals before, and I suspect they've watched from afar as I fed other cats. (Cat cat. An aging ginger who fell to the raccoons. HEY Cat who was killed by a German Sheperd to dog when he tried to get the sheperd to drop another cat that was being attacked, and, of course, the present outside cat, Guy)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I think there is a cat underground, like the hobo underground, where the addresses of cat sympathizers are posted for wandering cats like your tourist to go to when they need a meal. For many years my house was on that list. Haven't had a stray in ages though. Watch one show up tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
haha very funny.. and very familiar.. I woke up the other day with 2 spare cats INSIDE my house exploring. They just let themselves in... so I agree you feed the strays the rest meander over.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Where I am, this happens because people "throw" their unwanted house cats into our yards. The pet and animal in gral. culture here is soooo prehistoric compared to Germany, UK and the US!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
If it wasn't getting so cold and me needing to keep the door shut, I sort of wish I could get Zazzle to come inside. She's acting less and less afraid of me, and has sat on the patio a few times as if she wanted to come inside. Of course, she runs away when I do open the door for her.

On the other hand, maybe it's good she doesn't take up residency. I'm on the verge of being evicted for having too many cats now, as it is >_<

1 - 5 of 5 Posts