Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I was really excited to find a great forum like this.

I have the weirdest cat living at my house (not the one in my avatar, that's my perfectly angelic cat Bella) named Poco. We got her from the shelter about 6 or 7 years ago, and she was the cutest thing. She's all black except for a little white spot on her chest, and she has really long fur. She loved to play and run around, then someday about 2 years after we got her, she started to be afraid of everything. Its almost like she's lost her memory, because everytime you go up to her, she acts like she's never seen you before, and she has to sniff you for 5 minutes. She does this to the bowls she eats and drinks out of too.

Recently she's been peeing (and sometimes pooping, but not as much) on my mom's bath mat. She had to buy a new one because Poco had used it so much. Poco uses the litterbox sometimes, but another cat uses it too (she did this before there was another cat that hung out upstairs near her room) so she seems to hate that even more. I clean it out everyday, but it just doesn't make a difference.

So I don't know what to do, this cat is seriously nuts, but she's so cute and loveable after she's sure you're not going to poison her or something. :?

Anyone have any ideas about what might have happened to her, and what we can do?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Well... there are a lot of possibilities. If it were me, I'd take my cat to the vet to rule out any intestinal problems. But then again, it would be really cheap if not free at my vet for these tests.

There are a lot of reasons why cats might go outside the litterbox. I believe Dr. Jean's site http://www.littlebigcat.com has some articles on that. Some examples would be if the litterbox is not clearned properly / regularly enough, territorial issues, etc.

It seems like you are implying that you have two cats and one litterbox. If that is the case I would suggest getting one more litterbox at least, preferably two.

Then I'd wonder what litter you are using and how often you clean the litter (scoop or replace, etc.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts