Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it mean when a cat greets you with the tail straight up and quivering? One of my kitties does it only rarely - the other one several times a day.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Haha, my girl cat does this and I thought it was kind of weird at first but she does it right when I get out of bed and give her morning cuddles and when I get home from work and give her dinner. Her behavior is that of "excitement" so I have always connected her twitchy tail to that!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I call it shakey tail. Whenever they are happy and excited I see them do that and generally they want to be petted. My torti does it the most and she hunches her whole back up when she does it. Our older B&W does it when he knows he is going to get food or treats. It's so cute...I love it!

One of the comments you will hear around our house is, "Awwww, (insert name here) is giving you a shakey tail!"

Nerina~

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
totally! love that quivering tail thing. angel usually does it right before mealtime! she's just so excited for her food. 'course i like to think she's excited to see ME, too. :wink:

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad to know that other kitties do it too, and that it means that they're happy (but...does it mean the other one isn't?!) It's just one of those little things I've wondered about for years.

Nerina, I think the kitty who does it constantly does want to be petted. But things get a little strange at that point. I don't want to get off topic, so I'll start another thread about that...

·
Registered
239 Posts
yes it is basically a very happy "hello" :)

my Tulah does it all the time & Meeca does it when she get's excited for her dinner :)

my boy's do it very rarely

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
I love the straight-up, shaking tail!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Piper, our newest kitty (15 week old female) does this whenever she wakes up from a nap or when we get home or out of bed. Her tale doesn't shake much, just a little, but it points straight up and she arches her back and walks sideways into us to rub. It's very cute! She'll usually talk a little and give us a couple meows at the same time. Her meow is still just a squeek, so that's very cute too!

Our other cat, Minto, is about 6 years old. When she's happy to see us, or just content in general, her tail will be pointing forward rather than straight up. (So the tip of her tail is pretty much touching the back of her head) Must be her breed or something that makes it point forward rather than up. She's furry and kinda looks like a skunk from behind when she does this, haha.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the difference between what this looks like, and what a cat that is urine marking looks like?

Thanks!
I have 2 girls and have only seen strays marking a couple of times, but I feel like the back is more arched, with the butt up in the air, when they're marking. And of course, they'd need to be up against something - like the side of my house...

Maybe someone with a boy has a better sense of the difference? Or maybe there isn't a difference?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 2 girls and have only seen strays marking a couple of times, but I feel like the back is more arched, with the butt up in the air, when they're marking. And of course, they'd need to be up against something - like the side of my house...

Maybe someone with a boy has a better sense of the difference? Or maybe there isn't a difference?
Thanks, Sprite.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts