Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I've only been able to solve a bout 75% of my wire problems.
I bought a staple gun for the cable cord. I was able to hide some other wires by rearranging things slightly, and just pushing the wires back behind things.
Unfortunately in my room I just rearranged some things around my desk however the wires are still there. There's nowhere to hide the wires. I maybe able to tape some of them together but I don't know if it'll stop the kittens from chewing. I refuse to block them from my room. My room is their room.

Who knows they might not even be interested.

But just in case.

·
Registered
69 Posts
try this!

Hi,

I find that something that works good is the following:

Go to a hardware store and buy some black tubing hose that is used for plumbing, you buy this by the foot and it's really cheap.

You just have to make sure the plug will fit in the tube, you can test this at the hardware store.

Then, you run all your wires in this black tubing and your cats will no longer be able to chew on them! You use duct tape to secure the whole thing at the ends.

It's not very eye pleasing, but if most of your wires are hidden by the tv, sound system and other appliances, it should not be a problem.

These pieces of tubing sell for really cheap, and they are very effective to prevent your cats from chewing and damaging the wires, as well as getting electrocuted!

Cheap and easy solution!

Hope this helps.

sandyrivers

·
Registered
69 Posts
and also...

If you are dealing with speakers wires and other wires that it is not conveniant to put in this big plastic tubing, then you just buy smaller size plastic tubing, you cut it length wise with a larger exacto knife/box cutter and wrap it around the smaller wires... Use duct tape to secure the whole thing together. I guess you get the idea... if you need to secure other wires, well, with this idea and your imagination, you should be able to kitten proof your wires once and for good!

sandyrivers

·
Registered
351 Posts
rather than go to the trouble of cutting tubing, check a box store in the electronics department, or like Off Mx, Rad shk etc. they make a cover for wires that has a glue strip to attach to like walls or desk tops (like behind the computer) .. you cut the length you need. this should work and be much faster. they also make a strip for office floors so wires can be strung across a doorway etc.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
i am the cheapest of the cheap when it comes to stuff like this. i saved the inner cardboard tubes out of paper towels and strung those along all cords.

it looks stupid but who cares. better than a chewed cord or electrocuted cat. also, the cats will play with the cardboard and leave everything else alone. no one actually chewed through one, although there were a lot of little teeth pinholes.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I lucked out and not one of the four I have were wire chewers. Elastics, plastic bags and cardboard yes, but not wires. I've heard wrapping them in tin foil works well, as well as bitter orange spray. When my ex roommate and I had little kittens (well before my current crew), we wrapped his wires in tin foil - it worked, looked ridiculous, but it was just til they grew up a bit :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts