Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just joined the forums. We have 21 beautiful babies. They are all in the house. They range in age from 17 to 1 1/2. We have a lot of special needs kitties. A lot of them are rescues. One is diabetic and must have an insulin shot every morning. One baby is completely deaf and another has seizures.
Our kitties are very important to us. We also have 5 dogs, 1 parrot and a fish tank.
Our kitties: Merlin, Angel, Imp, Itsy, Mama, Scooby, Baby, Sassy, Frankie, Gizmo, Shaggy, Harry, Rufus, Bashful, Boo, Tiger, Pumpkin, Baby Butterball, Mystery, Chloe, Kimba.
They all have their own stories we hope to share with everyone and we are looking forward to hearing about everybody elses babies.

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You literally have an animal house don't you? It's sweet of you to take care of so many but how do you do it? Sugar and Twinkie are enough for me for the moment..... :p

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. I have been a cat lover my whole life. Most of the time it is peace and harmony around the house but with 21 we have our moments of discord. It is definitely a house of love. Most people go on vacations.........we have cats!
Works for us.
There are times when it gets frustrating cleaning the house and 15 minutes later you can't tell but then you sit down for a minute and 5-6 little furry ones come sit on your lap and tell you they love you and you don't care about the house anymore.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
My kitty is diabetic, too. He gets insulin injections twice a day. I have a lot of respect for people who take care of special needs animals. :)

Welcome!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Welcome! It is great to see someone taking in so many cats with special needs... I would love to help out more (but my fiance is satisified with two cats at the moment). I hope you'll be able to find time to talk with us, with all those babies I am sure you will have plenty of interesting stories and advice.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Hello cybeeb - we are so happy you have joined us!
Looking forward to hearing stories and seeing all of your wonderful pets
:D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Twenty-one cats???? :shock: WOW! Right now I don't have any since I had to have my cat put to sleep yesterday. Anyhoo, how great that your taking care of so many special needs kitties. You sound like a very caring person.

·
Registered
654 Posts
OMG 21 it is really good of you to take all those kitties in I would love to have lot and lots of kitties but I think my landlord wouldn't be to crazy about that, welcome to the forum

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the welcomes!
This is a wonderful place!
Annissa- How long has your cat been diagnosed diabetic? Do you feed special cat food?
Cattybird- So sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a family member is never easy. Hope to hear of your new kitten soon!
I am originally from Pa. I moved to TN a little over 5 years ago. I brought with me 2 dogs, 4 cats, 1 parrot, 1 ferret and 1 rabbit. I still have one of the original dogs (or I should say my son does), the parrot and all 4 cats. The oldest is going to be 17 this year. Her name is Merlin. I hope to post pictures soon! She has a wonderful personality. Though I do notice she doesn't like to be bothered by the other cats as much.She still craves human companionship.
She had liver problems for a while but with treatment over many months she is back to normal.
What is the longest anyone has had a cat to live. My best is 18. Would love to hear about cats in their 20's!
Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
cybeeb, I had a calico named Marilyn Monroe that lived to be twenty years old. A black male that we had named BC that died three months before his twentieth birthday. We've been pretty good about having long living cats, except for some reason, our gray cats. Laughing Boy, our gray Maine Coon cat only lived to be eleven, and our mostly Persian, Kitt, died last week at the age of fourteen.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Cybeeb, Sabby was diagnosed in August of 2002. I've been switching his food a lot since he was diagnosed. I'm having a hard time finding one that's good for both him and me. I started out feeding him Purina DM, but his poo smelled so bad while he was on it. I know it sounds silly, but anyone who's smelled a "DM BM" understands. They're horrible. So my vet recommended Eukanuba senior formula and he was on that for a while, but then other owners of diabetic cats told me that wasn't a good choice and that I needed a higher protein content in the food. So I switched to Bil-Jac dry and Sabby was OK with it, but wasn't thrilled about it. So I put him on Chicken Soup and he started throwing that up. Then Dr. Jean recommended Wellness canned. I'd heard good things about it, so I switched him to that and he did OK on it until last week when he was diagnosed with Irritable Bowell Syndrome. Now he's on canned I/d.

...and the saga continues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cattybird, you must take good care of your cats! We have all shapes and sizes, with 21 cats. They are such a joy. Most of our cats are in the 3-5 year range. We have one cat with seizures. He will be 5 this year. Tiger is the sweetest cat. One of the true innocents. I hope his life is not cut short with the seizures and the medications he has to take to control them but we will take everything we can get.
Annissa, it sounds like you are going through the whole store with cat food. Hopefully you will find the right one soon. Our diabetic cat refused to eat the dm food. For now he is on Special kitty dry and 9 lives canned. He is doing great. The only problem I have with him is that our vet wants us to check his urine everyday. To do that we have to pen him up till he pees. Sometimes this means overnight. But so far so good. About 6-7 years ago I had another cat with diabetes. He had to have shots twice a day. The vet I had then had diabetic clinic every month. Every month he had all his diabetic patients come in and spend the day and they would test their sugar. Our cat actually had his pancreas to start working again and he went off the insulin. About 6 months later he had a heart attack and died at the age of 14. Ironically both of our cats who have diabetes look identical. They both look like Sylvester, the black and the white. Completely different personalities but alike in looks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
wow this is amazing! 21 cats with dogs, ferrets, rabits, and parrot? I would love to hear your stories? I was always curious about how cats would interact with dogs, ferrets, and rabits. I was going to get a ferret to keep my cat company but was afraid the ferret might litter all over the house. I also thought about getting a rabbit but rabits seems really dull and have to be kept in a cage.

BTW, how do you deal with the litter having so many animals? Do you have a bunch of automated litterboxes? Do you let your cats sleep with you?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts