Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I read over and over questions posed by people in various places about pets attachement to their owners.

People say that pets do not "love" they do not look to us with true admiration and desire to be with us.

I've heard it described that when we pet them, they only view us as grooming them.

No, simply no. My cat loves me and its obvious. The constant need for an Adult male cat to constantly be on me, near me and next to me is not that he views me as his "mother"

When I pet him, he looks up at me with his eyes and you see the love he has for me, he admires me and wants to be around me as much as possible. Given plenty of options he will always be a hands length away. Usually that is not even enough and he has to be right on my lap.. constantly.

His communication with me, is different vs how he communicates with others, we have developed a bond and I know that I am more than this cats "grooming buddy"

When he comes to bed he waits until I am laying a certain way, this is how he knows I'm about to actually fall asleep, he comes and tucks himself as blasted close to me as I've ever seen any cat do, I mean my chin is on his upper back because he has tucked his body between my arms and neck.

Sorry for the random post, but I firmly believe that those people who say animals do not feel emotion or express emotion in the way that we do.. they are completely full of it. The bond I see between me and my cat is IMO evidence of that.

·
Super Moderator
26,809 Posts
I totally agree.

Cleo is my nurse-kitty. She comforts me when I'm upset or in pain, when there's nothing in it for her.

Even though they all have different ways of showing it, our cats love us.

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
I totally agree that cats love us, and that cats form a bond with people that are different from person to person. However...

The constant need for an Adult male cat to constantly be on me, near me and next to me is not that he views me as his "mother"
I can't agree with this since I'm not able to read my cats mind. I love my mother, too, so who's to say the cat doesn't view me as a mother figure. I don't really care either way, as long as my cat loves me. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think anyone who can say that simply hasn't had a pet of their own, or spent much time around pets.

They're all different, of course, and show their affection in different ways. Some love anyone they meet instantly, and with abandon. Others need a little time to decide, and then they show their love in more subtle ways. Still others fall somewhere in between. But the love is unmistakable! The way Little Bee looks at me when she's curled up in my lap, diligently grooming my arm...that can only be love! :)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
It's diffficult to define love, but I vote that they do, and I extend pity to those who don't understand, for they are definitely missing out.

And often they trust us. I don't think trust is possible without some kind of emotional attachment.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Mine love me, I do believe that. They choose to be with me, to sleep with me, snuggle and play with me. They don't have to do that. There are many cats that wouldn't give me the time of day, because we don't have a bond. But my boys love me, and minion too, bless her.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I completey agree with you Husky.
I don't feel annoyed at people who say animals don't love us though. I was thinking last night that a lot of people don't "get" my grief over losing Max, and in the same way, they wouldn't understand how an animal can love a person. I think its because they've not experienced it, never had a close bond with an animal like that so they just don't know. I hope everyone gets to feel it. Its so amazing having a soul cat or soul dog. A being who is completely in touch with you, who wants to be with you, greets you at the door, lies on the bathroom floor waiting while you shower, sleeps stretched out in bed next to you snuggled in close, who purrs if you so much as look at them. An animal that just saw me as a "grooming buddy" wouldn't bother with all that stuff

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe they love too. My boy Jagger is the same way. He absolutely wants to be with me and I can see the love in his eyes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts