Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a local store that carries Evo, so picked up a can of the kitten food and a can of Duck the other day. But none of the 3 cats seem to be big fans of it. The two older ones are pretty good about eating the Natural Balance Duck and I was hoping they'd like this as I can get the large cans of Evo for a bit cheaper. And the kitten just seems to prefer dry (she's been eating By Nature), though she did seem to like the Innova kitten wet food better than the Evo. So I have a 1/2 can of each in the fridge right now, can I mix it with other food to see if they'll take it? And how long can I store it in the fridge before it goes bad?

Also, does the kitten (vet guessed her to be 5-6 mos.) need kitten specific food? Or any canned food? I might get more of the Innova, as well as some By Nature wet, that's what the other cats used to eat and it was reasonably priced.

·
Registered
978 Posts
You can store it for 2-3 days as long as it's in an air tight container in the refrigerator. You can try mixing it with food but then they might not eat it.

The kitten shouldn't need any kitten-specific food as long as you're feeding good food. The kitten should definitely eat canned if it will. Wet food is better than dry food because of the moisture. Cats don't have a high thirst drive.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
You can absolutely mix EVO with other canned foods to make it more palatable to your cat/kitten. If they don't finish the can, toss it out when it starts to smell "off". I would continue to feed the kitten a kitten or all-stages food until she's a year old.

Laurie

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which EVO did you try? Hannah does not like the 95% flavors but loves the Turkey and Chicken cat and kitten.
That's what I got for the kitten and she eats it, but very slowly and doesn't seem to like it as much as the similar from Innova. I got the duck for my other two (vet thinks one of them is allergic to either beef or chicken, so we've been doing duck and venison), and they take a few licks, then walk away.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Evo is pretty thick. My cats eat it best if I mix a little warm water with it so they can lap it up. They are not fans of duck, beef is their favorite. Good luck!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Mine arnt a huge fan of Evo. They absolutely hated the duck but they don't mind the turkey and chicken one, although they only seem to eat it because they have to.

You can try mixing it but chances are if they don't like it they won't eat it. I've tried to trick mine before too an it never worked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts