Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat has started to get a few thick hair patches near the end of her body near the base of the tail. I brush her a couple of times a week but can't seem to get them out. It seems like the hairs are stuck together, almost glued in a sense. Any ideas how to get them out?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sounds like matting to me. In the future, you probably have to brush her every other day or every day, paying careful attention to the back end. The ones that are already there now can either be combed/brushed out (unpleasant) or just cut off.

Can I ask how big your cat is? Overweight cats have a really hard time grooming themselves in that area (can't reach) and are prone to matting there because of the build up of dirt and oils. This same problem can happen with older cats if arthritis reduces their mobility.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I had that problem with Missy when I adopted her. She is a big cat and older. I used a sharp pair of scissors and cut across the patches about halfway down. Then using a wire brush I bought at the pet store (About $6.00) I brushed the base out while I kept my hand under the matt. It was a bit patchy for a while, but the hair grew out again.

She is prone to getting these matts again and I use the wire brush several times a week. I get plenty of hair that has to be combed out of the brush. I also comb using an ordinary hair comb. Sometimes the brush sticks a bit and then I go slow while holding her so that the brush doesn't tend to pull her backward. At first she tended to be a bit alarmed, but now she seems to understand what it's for and noses the brush when it's on the table like she's asking me to use it.

·
Super Moderator
26,664 Posts
At this point, since you aren't familiar with dealing with matts (they're a pain), I would take her to a groomer and stay and watch her take care of them and see how she combs out your cat. I learned a lot from my girls' groomer. Also she can suggest the best brush and/or comb for your cat's type of fur.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Sounds like she might be overgrooming. That's a stress reaction. The "glued together" part is what makes me think that--I had a cat once who did that and that was the effect. If this is the case, the key is to reduce any stressful situations. Playing with her more might help, as might Feliway. Anything new in the house? New critters or people? A move?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She has definitely been stressed. She's been confined to a room for the last year. She is free to wander around the house but rarely gets far. Another one of our cats has become hostile with her and she won't stand her ground.

She isn't a large cat, but I must admit I can't weigh her. She is extremely scared of people. I've had her since 2004 and it still takes forever to gain her trust just to brush her. She doesn't let anyone pick her up. Not without suffering the consequences that is.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I would guess overgrooming then. Poor girl!

Can you not confine the hostile cat instead? Perhaps that would work better! If this girl gets along with the others, she might be happier back with the "pack."

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I see from the pic that she eats kibble. Switching to grain-free canned (Evo 95% meat or Wellness CORE) might help clear up the problem if it's allergic in nature. Try one formula (with one single meat) for a month and see if it clears up. If not, switch to a different meat formula.

Going raw would be the best plan, as even cats who are allergic to cooked beef or chicken are rarely allergic to it raw, but if you can't do that try canned. Often it's the unneeded plant foods in kibble (corn, etc.) that cause problems.

·
Registered
979 Posts
It's hard to tell, but she looks pretty overweight to me. Unsurprising if she's been confined - probably eating out of boredom. A wet diet (without free-feeding) would help her weight too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She is actually quite small compared to our other cats. She has a fat sack though, which shes had since we got her, which makes her look fat.

I regulate her diet very well. She only gets a half cup of Iams each day and most of the time there is still food left when I go to fill it up again.

I'll try and get a better photo with her next to something in comparison.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would stop using a brush and switch to a fine tooth metal comb. I use a comb similar to this one, I like the design of the teeth especially for short-hair cats.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Shedding-Comb-Wood-Handle/dp/B0002AQUSE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342732692&sr=8-3&keywords=safari+comb[/ame]

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
It's matting. I'm dealing with matting on Mr B now. He matts up FAST. I miss having all low maintenance cats.

If they're tight a comb/brush might be to painful. Electric razor

·
Super Moderator
26,664 Posts
It's hard to tell, but she looks pretty overweight to me.
Not to me. At all. I think it's the position she's sitting in.

She's beautiful, by the way!

·
Super Moderator
26,664 Posts
My girls look HUGE in some pictures, especially one I took last night of Cali sprawled out, playing dead. 7 lbs. and she looks like 20.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright, I am going to try a fine tooth comb and see if that helps.

Regarding her weight, her skin just kind of hangs from her body. If you were to push it up there is lots of clearance. It's been that way since we got her, at 9 months.

I put a video of her up here.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ollie is 8 mos and he has a tummy flap that kind of hangs down but it seems to be just skin. It bugs me but I watch his food intake so he doesn't get fat, so I guess that's all I can do. Do some cats just have hangy belly skin?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mostly it's the girl cats that get those udders (that's what we refer to them as in this house!!) because of spaying. But I have a male foster cat right now that has a little gut sack too. Poor guy ;)

My cat had this same problem when she got older. I'm talking around 17 years old I started noticing this. I don't know if it is directly related, but that is around the time when she started having kidney issues. Her fur started losing its luster and the base of her tail was kind of oily and it seemed like she had 2x the hair density there than anywhere else. I tried just about everything I could and nothing made a difference. So if nothing else works, maybe a trip to the vet? How old is she?

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
She looks fat to me. Cats are supposed to be on the lean side. She has a definite bulge instead of being flat--it has nothing to do w/ the drooping skin.

I recommend that you switch to grain-free canned and feed 2 measured meals a day. Weigh now and once every week or 2. She will lose weight this way and it may also help her coat/skin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took her to the vet today. Somehow, after she clawed the **** out of the assistance, we got her on the scale for 10 lbs and that was with my hands holding her (not pushing her down she keeping in place).

The assistant was like, "No, we will handle the pets" and I'm like "You don't understand. This cat is so scared she will put scars on you for life."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts