Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys! I was thinking about becoming a certified cat breeder. How would I go about that? How old do you have to be? I read somewhere that you had to be 42...? But somewhere else said you had to be 18 years old. I was think either breeding Persians or Russian Blue. What do you guys think? How do I get certified? Sorry, I'm probably thinking to many questions. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Becoming a cat breeder is an huge amount of effort and time. I’m sorry, but I’m not too familiar with how to get certified. Maybe some other members have some input on that.
Make sure you do your research and have enough experience to breed cats responsibly.
As for which breed you would like to consider, I would personally choose Russian Blues. Other people on this forum might be able to tell you which of the cat breeds is the easiest to breed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying! I'm leaning more towards Russian Blues myself. I do have a lot of time on my hands!

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Breeding and exhibiting is a lot of work, but also fun to do. I'm assuming you're in the U.S.? There are 3 main cat associations: CFA---Cat Fanciers' Assoc. (one of the oldest), TICA---The International Cat Assoc., and ACA---American Cat Assoc. I was a member of CFA & CCA (Cdn Cat Assoc.) for 18 yrs. breeding and showing long hair Manx or Cymrics (in Canada).
Here's a link for info. in CFA --- Breeding Exhbiting Sub-Menu – The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc

The best way to get into breeding is to have a CFA show quality cat of one of their registered breeds and enter cat shows. If your Russian Blue isn't CFA registered, you could still show him in the "Household Pet Class". It's a great way to get familiar with the breeds, judging, talking with other breeders, etc. Some people just have fun "showing" and aren't interested in all the breeding, raising kittens, and finding homes, etc.

Here's a link for showing in TICA --- Non-Pedigreed Cats
Good luck! And all the best!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! Yes, I'm in the US. I don't have a show cat...yet. It would be cool to breed, and show.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts