Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i think my boy is lonely and i'm thinking about getting him a friend, but i have some weird hang-ups about it.

- i'm worried that they won't get along, and i don't really have a room that i can seperate them for the first few days. cujo has been the king of the apartment since we got him in august, what if he resents having to share? would the new cat take over all of cujo's favorite spots and cujo gets the shaft?

- i'm worried that i'll play favorites with the cats, what if the new one is a lap kitty and i play with it more than cujo, who is not a lap kitty? or what if i play with cujo more because he is my baby?

- this one's kind of just me being jealous but also my biggest worry: cujo sleeps on my feet every night and what if he abandons me to sleep with the new cat? will they bond so much with eachother that they won't bond with me anymore?

so, does anyone have advice or stories for me? someone told me if i get a girl they will have a better chance of getting along. true?

btw- cujo is almost one year old, if age makes a difference in this situation.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I actually introduced my three cats before I ever knew about this forum. I never seperated them to start and they were just fine :oops: . Probably the easiest would be to introduce Cujo to a kitten because of your living arrangement. I don't really think Cujo would "resent" the other cat. From my experience, if someone takes their place, they find another spot!

About the favourites thing, unfortunately, a lot of us do pick a favourite. You may give slightly more affection to one cat than another, but the difference will be quite small. I don't think that cats notice that difference (at least mine don't). Levi always gets the cuddles and noone seems to be really jealous. Thankfully, they seem to want to snuggle at different times (my lap is only so big).

Levi used to always sleep on my feet. Now I have three cats that sleep on my feet. Just keep the thermostat at a low temperature and they will come :wink: . You are the warmest spot in the house!

I don't feel that the sex will matter, because you will fix them anyway. I have introduced both a male and a female to my older cat. It has worked really well. I hope you can assuage some of your fears, because 2 cats are much better than one! (and 3 are better than 2 :wink: )

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Faile, I gave a lot of advice recently to another person thinking about a second cat. http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2963
But on to your questions:
1. You don't have a bathroom that is separated that you could put the new guy in? That would be ideal even though it is a small room. As for dominance: it depends on the personality of Cujo and New Kitty. Have you ever seen Cujo around other cats? It's possible Cujo may be the dominant one, but it could be that the new cat is. It's really not a huge deal. Stormy is the dominant one (I think) of my two but Justin still steals her cat bed sometimes because they both like it. They share pretty well except for when it comes to the catnip scratch board. :D If you're very worried, your best bet is to get the new cat from someone who really knows him and can tell you about their personality.
2. You may have a favorite. But you'll still love them both. I feel guilty every now and then because sometimes I think I am favoring Stormy. But I tell myself that I DID have her first. As my first cat she holds a special place in my heart. Justin is new to the scene and it takes some time to bond. But when Justin was missing outside that time, I was bawling my eyes out. I knew from that night on, there was no question that I loved him with all my heart. Each one will be different and you will love them differently for all their little quirks and special things they do.
3. This is what my fiance told me...that if I got a new cat, Stormy wouldn't be as sweet to me. Not true! Now I have two cats loving on me and I get to watch them play together also! Stormy still sleeps on my bed at night sometimes and sometimes Justin joins us also. :D In fact, one night soon after Justin and Stormy had really started getting along, Stormy came up while I was asleep and laid down right next to my head and started purring. She has NEVER down this, she always sleeps down by my feet. I really feel like she was telling me thanks for getting Justin, I'm really happy that you did. It made my week because I knew that she was happy even though at first she didn't like the idea of a new kitty!
4. I think either a male-female combo or a male-male would work well. The ones that are tricky are female-female.
If Cujo is only a year old, that is good. He should hopefully adapt well to a new cat. You can either get a kitten (which many recommend) or get an adult cat of the same age as him. I got an adult cat and it worked out wonderfully for me. And it has been one of the most rewarding things to me to take in a cat that was waiting a year for his home and might have waited who knows how much longer if I hadn't gotten him. Of course, he was really the one who picked me by following me around when I was looking at cats. I couldn't resist! ::))

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i suppose i could put in in the bathroom, but one of cujo's favorite places to hang out is in there, and he never likes us to be in there without him. it's the only door in the apartment that actually closes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts