Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the one i have now is about 8 mos old and i've had her for about a month. and i'm thinking about getting a second one already. is this a good idea?

what do i need to have for a 2nd kitten?

thanks

·
Registered
220 Posts
personally, I'd get another cat about the same age as the one you already have. Try to get one that has a laid-back personality and try to get a shelter pet, as there are many, many cats who need loving homes. One of the most favorable factors in getting a 2nd cat, is that they learn to rely on each other for company instead of one relying on you, especially when you are gone for most of the day. It is just as easy to take care of 2 cats as it is one, and besides, they can be very entertaining when they begin playing with each other.

·
Registered
44 Posts
the best thing I did was get a second cat in the house. They keep each other company when I am gone at work or play and theres not much more work involved in having two aside from putting out an extra litter box.

I will warn you it might be sorta ugly at first (was with mine) but after a time they usually get to liking each other. Mine lay on top of me or at my feet when I watch TV and lick on each other

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Chinisimo, I think getting a second cat is a great idea. I would love to get a second cat, but Sabby would not allow it. He never got along with other cats, but he did tolerate cocker spaniels (go figure). At this point he's way too old and crochety to deal with a kitten.

Anywho... Brandon's post reminded me of the thread in the Cats in Need section where Faile introduces her new cat Kat to her old cat Cujo. If you're looking for a good idea of what to expect when introducing a new kitten, take a look at that thread. It's the thread about Bud. I think it's near the top of the Cats in Need section.

Good luck!

·
Registered
917 Posts
pm me too! it started out kinda nasty- new kitty hissing and growling at old kitty, but now they love each other and i'm so happy i have 2. although i did wake up at 6 am today cause they decided to use me for a wrestling mat. :lol:

·
Registered
237 Posts
we had adopted tyra and tyson at the same time, but brought tyra home after since she had to be spayed at the shelter... by then tyson was quite used to being the only one. someone had suggested splitting them up for a bit, which was fine since tyra was still healing from her surgery... so we let them play under the bathroom door for a while. he got so curious about her being there that he would try to look at her all day and all night, and paw under the door... very cute :)

they've also suggested that cats of the same age are the best fit... my kittens adore eachother and cry when the other is not around. they really have become best friends, and i'm so glad that i have the two of them to keep eachother company. not to mention that it's quite amusing to watch them chase eachother around the apartment.

the only challenge i find is feeding them separately, but i'm working on that one slowly... tyson tends to eat tyra's food before she gets a chance to eat enough. other than that, though, having two has brought much joy into my life :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would they share the same things, like bowls, toys, litterbox or i'll have to get 2 of everything?

·
Registered
237 Posts
my kitties share a litterbox... then again, i went ahead and bought the large littermaid automatic litterbox since i didn't want to have to scoop their poop all the time :lol:

my kitties share their toys, and i know my collection of cat bowls is growing... i put their food in separate bowls and water too although they tend to eat and drink out of eachother's bowls... which is why i mentioned having to learn to start feeding them separately.

the only caveat to having two kitties is that if your new one comes home with kennel cough or ear mites, your other kitty will most likely catch his new buddy's cold... so you may want to wait until you have the new cat checked out by the vet before you start letting the new one roam about. my kittens both ended up with upper respiratory colds, which was easy to treat... but the ear mites are a bit more of a nuisance since they take so darn long to get rid of.

minuses aside though, i think they both enjoy sharing in eachother's company and i know that my life is full of more smiles with the both of them in it... esp during those times where one wants to be left alone, the other one will come to cuddle with me :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the reason i'm thinking about getting a second one is b/c aphrodite is pretty anti-social. i'm thinking maybe getting her a lil buddy, she'll be more friendly. could i be wrong?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I thinks it's good to have pets around the same age. It worked out for my cat and dog so maybe that's why they get along.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2 kitties ROCK! :lol:

Mine use different bowls for eating, drinking they prefer the dishes in the sink to their water bowls! Yes yes I know, but I’m single living by myself, I only do them when I need to :lol: so now I just keep a bowl of fresh water in the sink for them. I have 2 litter boxes for them, but they both use which ever one they feel like at the time, neither one cares. Toys? They don't play with the toys I get them! They like bags, boxes, my mail, toilet paper, coasters, lamps, the cushions on the couch and anything else their not allowed to play with...hey stop that, give me that, stop swatting that, get outta there!

·
Registered
237 Posts
if you get aphrodite a friend around the same age, and of the opposite sex (but both should be fixed!), i think she may come out of her shell a bit. tyra was a bit skittish when we brought her home (i.e. wouldn't let us pet her, hid under the couch, liked sitting in the litterbox), but then she opened up as we introduced her to her buddy tyson. you should probably look for a kitty that's a bit more outgoing, and probably one that is used to sharing surroundings with others (i.e. a kitten in the same cage/living area as another kitten).

best of luck!
-- brite

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
If you have two cats you should have at least two litterboxes. Some cats like to poop in one and pee in the other -- and if kitties don't like their litterbox situation, then they won't use it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts