Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So we will be moving from our small apartment to a home in a couple of months. Our children are 2nd grade, Kindergarten, and Pre-School aged. DH doesn't know much about cats at all (other than knowing Venus the first couple of years we were together) and is leaving everything up to me. I am thinking the best option for us would be to adopt a 2-3 year old from a shelter that has demonstrated a patient disposition and isn't too skittish. Our children aren't rough and are very gentle with my mother's small dogs - but they are very LOUD at times. I was thinking that I would have a baby gate up permanently to DH/my room to make a safe and quiet place for kitty to retreat should she want some quiet time.

I have no preference whatsoever as far as size, color, etc.... other than that she be female and friendly with the kids. We may look into adopting another cat in a year or two but if she wasn't up to having another cat around that would be totally off the table.

Can you think of anything I'm missing here?

ETA - I only work a few hours a week when DH is off so kitty would rarely be home alone for long periods.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Wow, you have put in a lot of thought into the decision to add a kitty to your family. Your idea to find one who has already demonstrated a tolerance for the antics of small kids is spot on. My thought is find a shelter that does fostering and find a kitty that has lived among the chaos of a family.

Good luck to you and your family.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You're definitely on the right track!

I'd mention one thing, IMO most cats are social animals and they need contact with another of their own kind. You could consider adopting an older pair (not hard to find, especially ones who are good with kids, at least in my area) and not have to worry about intros later.

Alternately asking specifically for a cat who wants an only cat home would be a great option. Many cats are passed over in my local shelter because someone is adopting a second cat and the one they like at the shelter is an 'only kitty'. If you only want one cat going this route would be a good way to help a cat who might have trouble finding a home.

Whatever you choose your plan to have a safe place for the new kitty is fantastic! I would add that you should keep kitty in that room for a week or so to let her adjust before setting her free - so to speak. A whole house at once is a lot of stress, and it would ensure you could monitor any kid-cat interactions for the first little while.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You are probably a shelter/rescue's dream. It is so nice that you are open to different colors. Maybe the shelter will be able to lead you to a wonderful cat who gets passed over because it isn't as cute color-wise or not a kitten. I was someone who really wasn't interested in getting a black cat (shallow-but it was because I didn't think she would photograph well :() but she was the right criteria. She was raised in a rescue foster home by her momma with 5 siblings. We planned to adopt her sister (a brown mackerel tabby) and decided to get a sibling too and only the black ones were available. The black kitty is my little love bug :) I'm so glad we have her. I think you have the right idea by choosing based on other criteria first and not worrying about the color.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Alternately asking specifically for a cat who wants an only cat home would be a great option. Many cats are passed over in my local shelter because someone is adopting a second cat and the one they like at the shelter is an 'only kitty'. If you only want one cat going this route would be a good way to help a cat who might have trouble finding a home..
The only problem I see with this is....cats are like potato chips...you can't just have one...hahahaha :devil

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:nyanThanks for the replies.

I hadn't considered getting two kitties at once because I only ever had one at a time growing up. I am not sure DH would agree to that. He is a 'easy does it' type (and in many ways I am to). I will have to discuss that with him.

Growing up, all of the kitties my family had over the years came from whoever's cat had kittens and the one stray we took in. We never bought one from a shelter or wherever, so I am afraid going that route is totally foreign to me. Do most shelters have fosters they work with? I guess I should just call the few in my area and find out.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
I think the most important thing about adopting an adult cat in your circumstances is to be sure they are good with small children. Many shelters do not do a test for this, but some cats are relinquished due to allergies and may have come from households that had kids. That would be the way to go if you can find a match.

I would not put that much weight into the sex of the cat. Either sex of cat could be the perfect match. I have found with almost 3 decades of adopting seniors and adults that the sex really does not matter as far as bonding or affection is concerned.

The plan on keeping kitty isolated is great, too. I have found that after a few days - unless a cat was painfully shy - they wanted to start exploring after 3 or so days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts