Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read up on the raw rood diets, about what to feed ect. and i figured out it's much cheaper then buying the canned food i would buy. I figured out which food to feed him but there's a couple issues....

1)He's had UTI and i was wondering would a raw food diet help prevent it?

2)I don't know which supplements to give him...he's only about 3 years old and the only problems i kno that he's ever had was UTI, any idea which supplements i should use? which supplements does everyone else use?

3)how do i get him to eat it/ how do i make the transition between dry food to raw food

Any stories anyone else has with feeding raw food?

Thankz in advance!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Feeding homemade raw food will definately be cheaper than buying high quality canned food. I've fed my cats homemade for about a year and I have bo regrets, their in great shape! :D

1)He's had UTI and i was wondering would a raw food diet help prevent it? I would think any moist food prevents UTI. Check with Dr. Jean if you're worried.

2)I don't know which supplements to give him...he's only about 3 years old and the only problems i kno that he's ever had was UTI, any idea which supplements i should use? which supplements does everyone else use? I only supplement with iodine, fish oil and calcium (when I don't feed bones which today isn't often). The minerals and vitamines needed are all present in the food, if you balance it right with the proper amounts of muscle meat, organs, bones and veggies (if you include veggies, not everyone do that).

3)how do i get him to eat it/ how do i make the transition between dry food to raw food This one is tricky. Some cats instantly love raw food and some don't. It took me about two days to make a total switch from dry food to homemade for the younger ones but it took me a month to make the switch complete for the oldest one. I had to trick her with tuna water and crushed dry food to make her even remotely interested in the homemade stuff. Today she eats everything, so it was a total success. You'll have to find your own way to make the switch. Maybe there won't even be a problem introducing the new food.

Don't forget variety. Feed different kinds of meat, organs and veggies. This way you'll prevent the cat from eating to much or to little of something. At this site you'll find many links regarding homemade catfood and feline nutrition: http://www.cat-world.com.au/Nutrition.htm

·
Registered
69 Posts
check out the variety of raw feeding threads that have been posted on for the past few days - i think a lot of the questions may be addressed there- there are many links about changing cats over to raw feeding - and a lot of it would depend on what youa re attempting to feed. i gave my opinion on supplements in another thread as well :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thankz to both, that's helped out a lot! i gave my kittie a little bit of raw hamberg and he ate it( it wasn't much tho lol like half a teaspoon) along with his dry food. Thankz again!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
raw food diet

ahh! that's great information. thanks a ton :D Hopefully you also find the information you need

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I switched! First, I used to prepare the meat by myself but then....it became really difficult and I did lot of research and started buying frozen raw meat, already made for the cats. I found a really good company, with good price and I'm spending almost the same money as before when I was buying cans. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts