Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I just had a quick question I wanted to ask you guys if you could help me out. So I want to adopt a manx/american bobtail mix kitten. She's currently healthy and doing great, but I was reading that short tailed cats can be prone to urinary tract, spinal cord, and manx syndrome issues. Does this mean that she would develop these issues later on since it's part of her genetic make up or that it's something that might not happen. I'm very interested to hear back from you all and thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the "dilemma". I currently own a 5.5 year old adult male Siamese cat. I want to bring in another kitten to the house to keep him company whenever I'm gone/ because I just want another cat around. Is it better to get a male or female kitten? Will my cat become jealous or appreciative of the added company? He is very easy going and I know Siamese cats are easy going in general and love other cats, but I just wanted to ask and get some other opinions. Thanks and I look forward to reading the replies!

·
Super Moderator
27,169 Posts
You can't just throw two cats together, you need to do a slow introduction. There is no way to foresee how your current cat will react, but male or female doesn't really matter, it's both their personalities. If a breed is "prone" to something, there is no way to predict whether it will happen or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course, I agree whenever I do get a kitten I will definitely slowly introduce him/ her to my cat. If that's the case then I think it'll be fine since I don't think he's the type to react negatively. Thank you for the help

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hello fhj. I can't help with your first question but would say it's probably something you could ask your Vet about before you adopt. As for the second part, Jackson Galaxy on Youtube has lots of good advice about cat introductions. I had such a hard time with my girls I think I watched every one of them. Twice! You just never know how resident cats are going to react to a newcomer. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, I'll be sure to watch some of his videos to make sure I get as seamless an introduction as possible. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's the "dilemma". I currently own a 5.5 year old adult male Siamese cat. I want to bring in another kitten to the house to keep him company whenever I'm gone/ because I just want another cat around. Is it better to get a male or female kitten? Will my cat become jealous or appreciative of the added company? He is very easy going and I know Siamese cats are easy going in general and love other cats, but I just wanted to ask and get some other opinions. Thanks and I look forward to reading the replies!
In my experience if the new cat is young you won't have a problem and especially if of the opposite sex.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts