Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Personally I don't like the idea of training cats. Train them for litter box and no scratching furniture is a must, but doing tricks? Well, I have better way of entertainment. But it's just me :)

My Meatball plays fetch and Metoo waives her tail whenever called. But I never trained them these tricks. They just like to do it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'm not sure about the bonding by training thing... I spend time playing with them, which they like a lot, but repeating the same action hundreds of times doesn't sound fun for either me or the cats. I bond with my cats by sleeping with them and grooming them. And really I don't want them to be even more attached to me. I've already having trouble to finish my work with them insisting on "helping" me :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I saw once on TV (don't remember the program, most likely American's funniest video) where a cat can say "I love you" (pretty accurate). Which is reaaaally cool. I would like my cats to learn that, but I don't think that's possible for me... :/

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Magneto can do several of those tricks, and even one or two that Tripod didn't do! But now I have some ideas for new stuff to teach him. I should make a video of his tricks one of these days. :)

Yeah that!

Training isn't about making cats do something they don't want, it's about deepening the communication between cat and owner. I can't speak for other cats, but when I work with mine, they get very excited. It's palpably clear to me they LIKE trying to figure out what I'm asking them. And every breakthrough in communication is pleasurable for both of us and increases our understanding of one another. :love2

AC

^^THIS!! It is so true! I work on training with all my cats and they absolutely love it. It truly develops a deeper bond of communication and understanding between human and cat. It's like they start to understand that the useless noise that's coming out of our mouths actually has meaning! ;-)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your cat doesn't like the training then you're doing it wrong. I think watching your cat work out how to earn a treat until it builds into a perfect behavior to be very enjoyable, you can see the brain ticking. It does indeed strengthen your bond, but more than anything it works your cat's mind. Indoor cats get very little enrichment, figuring out how to earn a treat can help those brains.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Another +1 for the bonding. For some breeds specifically (and most in general), like Bengals and Savannah's (I'm guessing Abys too), the training is a special, strong bonding experience which some cats actually crave.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I love the training thing. Yoshi is trained to come, sit and stay....just the basics. I am going to do more training, just haven't made the effort yet. I use a clicker with him and it worked very well and quickly. He really needs stimulation, and what better way to do it?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've never been able to get mine to lie down. I can get them to do the crouch thing that cats do (almost lying down except elbows are up). I've never been able to get elbows down.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Some cats are smarter than others. Some of my fosters understood different word commands right away. Chandler, a former foster, loved learning things. If you didn't find challenges and play time, he'd create distractions to keep himself busy! Id regret some of his ideas!

Tripaw is simplely amazing! What an inspiration! Plus a great ambassador to show special needs cats are exceptional. Thanks for sharing this.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow, you don't see many cats that will willingly do tricks. And that's the thing, they WON'T do them unless they feel like it. Cats are not reward-seeking animals in the way dogs are, they have much different thought processes, since they are solitary predators. So clearly this one is having a lot of fun doing them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts