Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my cousins come over to start doing a household cleanup project right in the middle of the cats' afternoon nap. They're all nice and settled in the Living Room nestled together under an end table. But before we knew it Cricket hears interesting noises and decides to investigate. She finds her way past an open door and down to the basement. (We had our wires crossed over which door would be used to go outside. I was guarding the front door and the cousins decided to use the basement door.) The next hour is spent with all us crazy humans trying to carry all the junk outside while making sure the silly cat doesn't desire to explore outside.

Now she's still hiding in the basement, under a chair where she's been watching all the craziness. Meanwhile her sister has played, gotten treats, petting and is back sleeping in the Living Room. But will Cricket come up to enjoy any of her favorite things? Of course not. Far too interesting watching crazy people haul out junk then study what they leave behind.

FWIW, she never did show any interest in going outside. It's cold and rainy.

Dinnertime is in half an hour. The cousins are gone. House is quiet. We'll see if Her Majesty decides to grace us with her presence.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She's back. Found her hiding under a chair in the living room. Shut the door to the basement so she can't get into anymore trouble. But of course now she's acting all skittish again.

Only eats her dinner when I leave the room. As soon as she sees me she runs and hides. Meanwhile her sister ignored dinner to go watch those strange men outside the patio room moving stuff.

It's gonna be an interesting few days. Lots of sounds to hear and lots of stuff being moved about. I must keep Bella from discovering an open door. She's the bravest of the two and will run right outside if I let her. For now, she has a good vantage point from the patio room.

How on Earth do you guys with multiple cats handle doing household projects and not losing a curious one to the great outdoors?

(BTW, they are both wearing their collars so at least they can be found.)

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
When I have to take the dog out, I put Nina in my bedroom and close the door. But if I am just going out quickly, I start saying, "No, no, no!" on the way to the door, open it and close it." When I come home, I start the same thing before I open the door. I hope that helps. I'm really adamant about it. In addition, if Nina (Blueberry died last year) goes near the door when someone is coming in or going out, I do the same thing. And I warn everyone to close doors quickly. I'm hyper about doors!

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Silly girls!! You might have to lock them in a room when the doors are open and people are going in and out just to protect them from running out.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Heh, I was saying this to my gal the other day when she was interfering with everything I was doing: "You know what they say about curiosity and cats, dont you?"

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one problem with my floorplan is that I have precious few rooms to contain them. It's very open around here. We do have a laundry/garage entrance (which we mostly use) that has a series of doors. It's pretty easy to close one while opening the other. That's the door I was manning.

My plan for tomorrow (once we start working upstairs and may use the front door) is to lock them both in their room (the laundry).

As it is, the whole experience was probably more than Cricket bargained for. When we could see her she was huddled under something in a quiet corner, eyes wide open watching. She seemed too scared to go anywhere.

After she did come upstairs and eat dinner I found her hiding under the dining room table. She relaxed when I came to her and petted her, but as soon as she heard my cousin come in the door she balled up in a corner again.

Now she's back to normal playing with her sister.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
If we need a door open one of us usually stands guard to shoo cats away from the door. If the project will take a while (longer than 10min) then they are all closed into the Master Bedroom which has a litterbox, food and water. Most of our guests are friends and they know the kitties aren't allowed in/out and are very good with the doors. I have had only a few guests 'forget' and leave the door open longer than necessary when entering or exiting and during those times I am blunt: "Come in, get out, but close that door!" We have had a few yard parties and with so many guests it is difficult to watch all three doors available to the outside so I close the kitties into the MBR, lock the door and put a sign on it denying access.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Ive forgotten what the luxury feels like to be able to carry things in and leave an open door to go out and get the next load.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mitts & Tess said:
Ive forgotten what the luxury feels like to be able to carry things in and leave an open door to go out and get the next load.
That was one of the reasons we waited 8 months before adopting another cat after our peppermint died. We could have done it in October when our travel season ended but we were enjoying the freedom of leaving a door open for an hour or more. Only thing that bothered you was the cold air getting inside. Such bliss.

I guess we're just gluttons going for 2 curious cats.

In other news, as soon as the strange company left the kitties were back to their normal hijinx. Chasing mylar balls, chsing each other and finding a nice spot to hang out. That is now the patio room/my daytime office I keep it nice and warm in there and the lights low. I walked in after dinner and found them in the midst of a big kitty lovefest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ4kkojGwfs

Now I have Cricket sitting next to me in the nighttime office. She's coming along with her affection. Now she rolls over as soon as she sees my hand and puts her little paw on my leg. So sweet. Almost makes me forget the little troublemaker's antics earlier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts