Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Story from Tucson's Humane Society! Its a happy story!

A happy reunion unfolded at the HSSA today! Nala had been missing for a year and a half. Her heartbroken family took all of the right steps toward finding her. They filed a lost report with us, checked all the local shelters, updated Nala’s microchip registration with new contact information and never gave up hope. Their determination paid off when we scanned this little found tabby for a microchip and– Voilà – Nala is now going home!

Did you know that 1 in 3 pets will become lost in their lifetime and pets with a microchip are 30 percent more likely to be returned to their owners?

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
YAY! One that has found its way back home!! :D
For what microchiping costs...it is a small price to pay...to have that extra coverage, just in case...;)

·
Registered
779 Posts
I don't like those odds either, 0ozma :/ Reading this makes me glad that my shelter chips all cats before they are adopted out

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here is a link that lets you look up microchip numbers:
Pet Microchip Lookup - Powered by AAHA

And here is a link that lets you register your pets irregardless of the company who actually put the chip in: https://microchipregistry.foundanimals.org/

The second link is kind of a back-up, keep your data up to date with the original company if at all possible because people have to know to look it up through the first link in order to find your info. Use the first link with your chip number to see what would come up if your pet was scanned, or if you happen to find a lost pet with a chip!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Great story! :D It's wonderful when lost pets are reunited with their loving owners. Thanks for sharing, Mitts & Tess!

I'm hoping Sam, the tame male cat I trapped yesterday, will have a similarly happy ending. It's really obvious that he was once someone's cat, but he's been living at my colony for the past year and a half. I looked him over when I got him to the Recovery Centre last night, and it looks as though he's already neutered, and I couldn't tell for sure (he wasn't keen on having his mouth pried open,) but it also looks as though he may have had some dental work done at some point. It makes me hopeful that Sam might have a family out there looking for him. I couldn't locate a microchip when I scanned him though--which, yes, is why it's important to microchip your cat.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Awww beautiful. . We live in an apartment right now but when we buy a house they are getting chipped

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Katrina, a few days ago a woman came into the shelter looking for her cat. She lives in an apartment building and the cat had somehow snuck out of her apartment, and then someone let it out of the front door to the building. So now her cat is gone. Don't assume your cat can't get lost just because you're in an apartment building. Chip your cat!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm hoping Sam, the tame male cat I trapped yesterday, will have a similarly happy ending. It's really obvious that he was once someone's cat, but he's been living at my colony for the past year and a half.
Dt8: there are tons of cats at our shelter who are so friendly that it seems highly unlikely they're really ferals/strays. I think there's a lot of scum out there who simply kick their cats out of their homes when they're no longer convenience for them :(

·
Registered
836 Posts
Dt8: there are tons of cats at our shelter who are so friendly that it seems highly unlikely they're really ferals/strays. I think there's a lot of scum out there who simply kick their cats out of their homes when they're no longer convenience for them :(
Oh, I'm well aware of the fact that there are a lot of people who view cats as something to be disposed of or replaced when they become inconvenient to provide for. It's sickening that anyone could throw away a thinking, feeling, being that is completely reliant on that person for its very survival. Very few cats that end up in shelters are ever reunited with owners, as you've obviously seen first hand. :(

That said, if one of my cats was missing, I would hope that whoever found him or her would do everything possible to reunite them with me. I know it's probably a long shot, but I'll put the information out there and wait a week or two before putting him up for adoption, just in case someone is desperately missing their kitty.

MyBabiesDaddy: I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of your lost and abandoned shelter kitties!

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Heads up to everyone. I went to change my address and found out from the 24petwatch some of my fosters were not on the life time plan. Of coarse they charge you extra. So I signed up for all my foster since the new families hadn't changed it to their new imformation. Make sure your chip is lifetime not just one year so your able to always update your imfo. Sad part of calling I had to let them know one of the cats I had chipped had passed away. Tears.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Luckily my animal shelter microchips all the animals. I should have the info in the records given to me when I adopted her. Gives me piece of mind.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts