Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the local shelter last week. They have a resident cat named Cora, she is a dilute tortie. When she wants food she reaches her paw through the bars of one of the cages and digs into the food dish pulling some out onto the floor, and then eating it. When she did this I laughed and remembered seeing her do the same thing a few years ago when I got Barnaby.

The average person may not think that's anything special but being a cat lover, it was so cute to see her doing that.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only went once so far but I'll probably go back this week. Everyone will be seeing pictures soon enough.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Richo I never noticed that you were from Wisconsin -- where at? I know if you went to the Dane County Humane society you'd want about 10 of their cats. They have a TON right now and there are so many little sweeties there.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Green Bay. I think there is another forum member who lists as Wisconsin but it doesn't say the city.

The Bay Area Humane Society has plenty of cats as well (sadly they all do :( ) but since I can only pick one I want to make sure it's one that will fit Barnaby's personality. Madison is 2.5 hours away and I'm not the type that enjoys long trips... to me an hour in the car is plenty long.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't really have any particular type in mind. I have heard that males get along better with males so I'm looking for a male cat, and I guess I would rather get a young adult as opposed to having to supervise a baby 24-7. Plus a high strung kitten will want to play with Barnaby when he wants to sleep. Also the adults have less chance of adoption.

I guess when I see the right one I'll know.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
No type, huh? So you don't mind if it's shy and reserved vs. talkative and outgoing? Any idea what Barnaby would respond to best, and vice versa? Sorry for all the questions -- just curious.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like a talkative cat because Barnaby is. He also needs a playmate because he doesn't care too much for the standard cat toys. He likes to chase things that are alive and move, like insects and my legs. I'm thinking by getting a young adult male that he will hopefully have about the same energy level as Barnaby. I'll probably stop by the shelter on Wednesday and see.

It's too bad. To help prevent the spreading of disease you are allowed to visit with only one cat per visit to the shelter, so if there are 5 cats I want to check out, I'll have to go there 5 times.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I'm sorry if I'm being annoying, just smack me on the head if I am. Anyway -- here is the kitty that I would take if I could. He is a young adult, small right now but might grow, has perfect tuxedo markings, WHITE healthy teeth, and a very shiny healthy coat. Healthiest looking shelter cat I've ever seen. I have visited with him a few times, and he gets along with the other cats in the communal room just wonderfully -- he's very easy-going with them. He was talking and talking to me before I sat down and picked him up -- then he purred like an angel. Then he went off to play, talk talk talk, and when he was done he came back to plop himself right down next to me. He's a great cat -- anyone would be lucky to have him. I know it's wishful thinking, but if by chance you are interested, I'll do all the driving. :)

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action ... mpl=&stat=

·
Registered
722 Posts
Tuxedos have never been my favorite cat (though no cat is my least favorite, they are all great!!) but that one is GORGEOUS!!! Looks like a regular Valentino to me.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was he found stray or surrendered? Do they say why? He sounds like a sweet cat. I'll have to do some thinking on that one.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
He was a stray. But it seems like he's been around humans before -- he has no anxiety whatsoever. And being stray took no toll on his health, that's for sure. He is a picture perfect healthy cat.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The web page says he's been altered, I assume that means neutered... which gives me the impression that he was once owned by somebody... or did the shelter have him neutered?

You've got my curiosity up about this cat. He sounds like what I'm looking for. I wish it was more convenient for me to go visit him.

Do you know how long he's been at the shelter?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
He has been neutered because teh dane county humane society alters all animals that come in -- they are smart!! :) As for how long he's been at the shelter, I don't think very long. This cat is amazing, I have fallen completely in love with him, and I visit humane society cats all the time. He was talking away when I came into the room, and when I picked him up, all he did was purr, and was perfectly content just to sit there. He is like a Siamese the way he behaves, and the intelligent air he carries around. No doubt in my mind that I would take him if the max number of cats on my apartment was 3. Anyway -- I would be more than happy to hand-deliver him to you IN Green Bay complete with treats in hand and a red bow, if you wanted him. Anyone would be lucky to have him -- there's something very special there.

Richo -- I can't tell you how much I wish I could have him. I don't know how serious you are about him, but *I* am serious enough for the both of us. I put a hold on him, telling them that I wanted to hear what my boyfriend thought. (I fibbed -- YOU would be the boyfriend I was talking about). Anyway -- I told them that because they assume that if you adopt a cat, it will be living in YOUR household. They will hold him until Friday, and then I have to call the woman and tell her if my "boyfriend" is leaning towards it or not. If "he" is, then they will hold him until Tuesday. I didn't feel bad about putting a hold on him -- because they will put second holds on him if anyone else comes along and is interested. So I'm not taking him off the market -- I'm just calling first dibs in case you want to take him. I don't mean to put pressure on you -- feel free to tell me to butt out or that I'm going to far. I am just so in love with this cat and jumped at your interest. I am willing to go to great lengths to see that this cat has a great home.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does he have a playful nature? He needs to keep up with Barnaby who I would say is average as far as his play aggression. Was he interacting with the other cats in the room at all as far as playing?

I am thinking about your offer.

I was going to visit the shelter tomorrow and see who was new and/or visit with the cat I saw last time who seemed to be a friendly cat. I know I can't take them all but I would feel so bad if the cat from last time never gets a home and gets put down. :cry: Then again, I was undecided about him as well. It's such a difficult decision when you can only take one. :(

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
He was playful, yes. He loved the wand toys and like I said -- he's young so he has a lot of energy. But he wasn't like a kitten who is naughty and getting into trouble -- they said that while he's been at the satellite adoption center he has had wonderful manners.

I was lucky enough to be there on the very night they brought him to the center from the humane society. It's protocol to keep cats in their cages for one day and let them sniff the other cats and vice versa. But Calypso was playing with Danny through the doors within 2 minutes of being in there. As far as playing with the other cats -- he tries. He and Danny were playing a lot -- Danny is a big sweet guy. Unfortunately the other cats in the room are all older than him, and they are very reserved, and the kittens are both sick. But he lives in the same room as all of them and shares toys and space just fine. He's very easy-going. One or two of the other cats were definitely bullying him today, and all he did was swat, meow, move away, and come sit by me. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts