Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just thought i'd let you know whats been happening with Thomas over the last couple of weeks.

A couple of weeks ago on a Thursday night after work I came home to find Thomas very upset/in pain trying to go to the toilet but having no luck. After a call to the vets they told me to come in immeadiately with them saying it could be life threatening. The problem was that my husband had the car and was still coming home from work. When he arrived home from work we rushed to the vets and were seen straight away. After we told the vet what happened they took him straight away for emergency surgery after telling us he could die. I was a mental wreck crying my eyes out. They called us later that night to tell us that he had a complete blockage of the urinary tract but they were able to remove it and were sending away blood tests and some urine to check for kidney and crystals in the urine. Well the tests came back and his kidneys were fine but he had crystals in his urine. He was not able come home till Saturday. I went and saw him on Friday and he was so shaved both under his head and all his "nether regions". He looked like a french poodle. He was well enough to come home on the Saturday but we had lots of medication to give him and Hills Presciption diet CD/S. Unfortunately he lost all bladder control for two days, we had to clean the carpets he got to until we noticed what had happened, and the bedding he was sleeping on. Additionally he got diarohea (spelling wrong) from the antibiotics the vet gave us. A trip to the vet on Sunday allowed us to change the antibiotics. By Monday (a long weekend in NZ) he regained bladder control but was clingy and tired so we set him up in the back bedroom and we took turns to keep him company, my husband slept the night in the bedroom with him in a sleeping bag. On Tuesday we let him out only to find that our other indoor cat Katie now hated him and was acting all defensive. We had to keep them separate for a week with controlled introductions and lots of Feliway. Two weeks on now they are getting along which is a relief, Thomas still likes his new diet. I'm still paranoid that it could happen again, the vet says it will likely keep recurring for the rest of his life. In two weeks we are going away for my husbands sisters wedding, Im worried he will have a relapse while with the cat sitter ...

Sorry it's so long but its been a stressful time for us.

Kiwicat

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Aww kiwi, I'm so sorry about Thomas. That must have been so traumatic for all three of you. I know how it is when your cat is sick. How long are you going away for? Maybe you can ask your vet if there are any "special instructions" you can give to your cat sitter? Or maybe you could consider boarding him at your vet's, that way he'd get immediate help if he needed it. He might not like being locked up while you are away, but it might make you feel more at ease. Is the sitter going to stay with the cats or just come by and check on them and feed them? If it is the latter, I'd definitely consider boarding him with the vet while you are away.

I hope Thomas is doing well. Any pictures yet? On another note, I hope you have a good time at the wedding!

tanyuh

·
Registered
365 Posts
Kiwi the blockage usually doesn't happen overnight. I think you will be fine and you could give the sitter some special signs and symptoms to watch for and ask if anything was wrong or suspicous if they could take him in for you and the vet could just bill you later? He should be fine but I know how you feel about your sick baby. My Sammy cat was recently pretty sick and I am scared it may happen again too. I will be thinking of you both and will have you in my prayers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the support. My parents and little sister are going to look after all four of our cats and come to feed them/check on them. I'll give them a big long list of things to look out for and make sure they will spend alot of time with them. They will take Thomas to the vet straight away. I'll also text message and call everynight. Im sure he will be ok. I have got lots of pictures to show but I dont have my own website to host them.

Thomas is doing great at the moment we havent had any problems for nearly two - three weeks. I only wish his fur would grow back a bit quicker its very cold at the moment.

Kiwi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts