Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you give me some advice on how often to do the rotation?

Also, do you have to follow the same procedures when rotating that you do for introducing a new food?

I have found 3 foods I think I would like to rotate, but I may go to 4 if they also like Chicken Soup.

Any advice/suggestions would be great!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
food rotation

Every 3-4 months is fine. Remember to start phasing in the new food before you come to the end of the old one, and convert over a week or two, to prevent tummy upsets.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10,231 Posts
I can't do much dry food changes b/c Sugar has a sensitive stomach but for canned food, they get variety everyday! Just make sure it's gradual, you don't want your cat throwing up b/c of the drastic change in food. :p

·
Registered
676 Posts
Even with wet foods, sometimes will require gradual switches, even from brand to brand, depending on how drastic the formula change is :)

Personally I go every 3-6 months on a food before I switch. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it just as effective to switch flavors of foods rather than brands? For example if one brand has a chicken and rice, lamb and rice, and salmon and rice can I rotate amongst those without rotating the brands of food?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yup, it can do the same.

We do it to keep cats interested. And to keep their digestive systems adaptable to small changes in diet.

As long as the ingredient from formula to formula is different enough, it should also be benificial :eek:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The meats are pretty different in each formula. The grains are about the same.

The Lamb formula has lamb, beef liver, catfish, and chicken. I thought that was a really good variety.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts