Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you with XP Windows as your operating system, what are you going to do after April 9th when XP will no longer be secure. I cannot afford another computer and don't know what I'm going to do. I will check with my Norton security and see what they have to say about all this, anybody else concerned about this :crying

·
Banned
422 Posts
Windows7 is a horrible OS, according to my father, whose present computer came with it.

For my computing needs, I thought XP was the best, with Vista a close second. I haven't had a functioning computer for over a year now (I post either from my work computer in my spare time or from my S2 phone), so I have no idea what is out there at the moment. I really want to get a laptop... maybe next year when my credit card is paid off I can put aside a couple of months-worth of CC payments and pay it off up-front.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I had windows 7 for quite awhile and had no issues. You need to make sure you have the critical updates installed as they come in. I now have Windows 8 and that is a more to get used to.

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
Cat Owner Again you are the first person I havent heard bemoaning how they hate the new windows. I heard it isn't intuitive and everyone is struggling with it.

What are some tips for those who will have to get new computers next month?

I'm dreading this because my honey who resists technology. (He has a flip phone) is going to be forced to replace his dinosaur lap top. its not going to be a happy time in our house with him.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Oh I did complain about Windows 8! They designed it for their Windows Surface that is like a tablet and laptop and the touch screen laptops that cost more. And I don't see why I would want to use the touch screen on my laptop! The problem is when you buy a new laptop this is what you will get. I almost considered wiping it off and reinstalling Windows 7 but you can't fight city hall. They will discontinue support of Windows 7 before they do 8.1. So people showed me a few things and now I can get around it fairly well. Basically you want to put it back to Windows 7 views you are used to. I set it up so I can go to the desk top. I put short cuts on the desk top and the taskbar on the bottom just like I was used to before. I use the desk top to get around. I got rid of a lot of the apps I didn't use.
I didn't have to download anything to do these things. You can use You Tube to show you how - I just usually check that more than one person is telling me how to do the same thing so I don't mess up. I am on the computer all day for my job but I don't find it too hard now. As I am typing this I have all of the usual icons on the bottom taskbar I can go to.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Oh and I finally had to go from my flip phone to a smart phone too! I basically wouldn't leave the store until someone showed me how to do all the things I needed to do. I took notes. Now I also look up on You Tube when I need to do more. I still don't use it to full capacity but once in awhile I am happy I have the email, etc. I think the key is to find the help you need and practice it a bit and then you feel really proud that you figured it all out :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Windows 7 is more or less the same as Vista, which wasn't too much different to XP. If you're going straight from XP to 7 it might take a few weeks to get completely used to it, but it's still essentially the same thing and it should all still work the same way.

Windows 8 is a bit odd, it's really designed for touch screens so the usual things you might need aren't always where you'd expect them to be. I don't find it very intuitive but I don't use it very often - if I had to I'd probably just deal with it.

However, if you're happy with XP for the time being I don't think there's much rush to go out and buy a whole new computer, or even upgrade if you don't want to. Just make sure your antivirus and firewall are kept up to date, and be cautious about what kind of thing you click on and things you install from the internet.

Mitts & Tess - if your husband doesn't use his laptop for gaming or advanced use of MS Office (and doesn't need a CD drive), he might get on alright with a Chromebook? They are very basic, light, intuitive, secure and difficult to mess up by clicking the wrong thing. Also, cheap. The google versions of word/excel/powerpoint don't come with all of the bells and whistles that MS Office does, but they're more than capable of handling most of the things a normal person can throw at them.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
The problem with not having a CD drive is sometimes you need one to install something and can't do it from the internet. Then you need a slow portable drive. I usually find if you don't change your technology often, to get all you "may" need because you can make it last longer. Timelyexit gave good advice. You don't have to run out and get a new computer immediately. I think being careful what you open and how you surf goes a long way in security along with the virus checker. And please back up your computer data because eventually things break and people lose their data or have to pay to try and retrieve it.

·
Banned
422 Posts
And please back up your computer data because eventually things break and people lose their data or have to pay to try and retrieve it.
THIS, THIS, THIS!!!!!! My PC hard drive crashed about a year and a half ago, and due to finances I haven't made a move yet to see if I can get any of the files off of it. I had tons of pictures I had taken, my entire CD collection ripped onto it for transferring to my MP3 player, videos I had downloaded, game files, etc. etc. :crying

At this point I don't even care whether or not I can salvage the hardware, just as long as I can retrieve my files.

·
Registered
28 Posts
True enough. I've got a windows 7 desktop PC that I put together myself, that I mostly use for gaming these days, and I think I've used the CD drive in it about twice? I disconnected it for a while for some reason and forgot to put it back together for six months and didn't even notice, but I buy most of my software digitally. For someone with patchy internet or download caps it might not be practical to go without a CD drive, and of course if you watch dvd's on your computer you're gonna need a drive to do it with.

I got a chromebook on a whim a few months ago and now do most of my work on it instead of my full size pc, it's just really handy. You can't actually install any "normal" software on it, just apps from the chrome web store (a bit like how iphones/ipads work), but so far it's done me fine.

Anyway, that's almost completely off topic. As long as you're not a reckless clicker of random things you should be fine to keep an XP computer until you can afford something newer or you run it into the ground.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I missed the window to include this in my previous post but thought this might be useful:

Backing up your stuff - automated internet magic

For a backup solution you don't have to think about much, have a look at Dropbox. It's free at the basic level (which IIRC is 25gb of space?), and you can set it up so it automatically sends the content of certain folders of your choosing to a space the internet, so you can always access them wherever you are, as long as you can remember your username and password. It's quite safe and secure. Good for documents and pictures (as long as they're not giant ones taken on a really fancy camera).

Google Drive has a similar service (included with a gmail account, if you've got one), and I believe Microsoft Skydrive does too (for hotmail/outlook users).

For an MP3 collection, Google Play Music has a service where you download a tiny program which periodically scans your music folders on your hard drive, notes the music you have and tells Google you own it, and then it's stored online and you can listen to it from any computer, or through the play music app on an iphone/android. If you have any music that google doesn't have a copy of, it'll upload the file from your computer so you can have that in your online collection too.

This kind of solution may not be to everyone's taste, but they can be incredibly useful as you don't have to remember to do anything once it's set up. But portable hard drives/usb sticks are pretty cheap these days and you can just stick a post-it to your computer or something to remind you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
or just use Linux: Ubuntu, openSUSE, Fedora etc.

There is massive amounts of choice, all of them free and easy to use.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just chatted with a tech from Norton and they will cover XP users indefinitely. He didn't know for sure how long that is so I will stick with XP and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
8,622 Posts
I also was a XP user, then our PC got the dreaded Blue Screen of Death!
So we had to get a new PC and of course it was Windows 8...Well guess what?!
It wasn't the nightmare that so many people described at all!
Hubby and I both had it figured out in no time!
And with the 'Desk Top' mode it's very easy!

For a laptop, I did a lot of research, because it was my first...
And I wanted the best Bang for the Buck!
I bought an Acer Aspire V5-531P-4129 and I love it!
Back lit keypad, dedicated number key pad and a Disk drive!
It weighs about 5 1/2 pounds and is great for my job!
Best of all-I paid 509.00 dollars for it!!
On Amazon!
If you're a serious gamer, it might not be what you're looking for...
Battery life is only around 4 1/2 hours...
But since it comes with power cord, thats not a problem for me.
Already built in Wi-Fi sensor as well!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts