Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mouse's faviourate toy is a stick with elastic on which had a toy at the end (the toy had been chewed off but the stick and elastic still remain a firm faviourate), tonight we've been playing with it, in an attempt to tire her out. At the end of our game she was panting away like a dog - Is this normal and isit safe? I don't want to harm her

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Yeah, when SHepherd Book gets to playing hard he pants as well. I just give him a few minutes to breathe and then start again. Good to wear him down. :wink

·
Registered
51 Posts
My cats do the same thing with a laser-pointer...it's hilarious!

We do the same thing...let them catch their breath and start again! Good exercise for them, too.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Milky pants like a dog too when he's exhausted from chasing his toys about. I usually stop to let him take a break and then when he's caught his breath back, we start again.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Aww! How cute! My cat, Nigel never gets to that point. He gets bored and gives up very easily. He loves to play - but on his own terms.

He used to love the laser pointer, but one day, he walked right up to me and batted at the pointer itself. Ever since he figured it out, he sees the dot, looks up at my hand and doesn't even bother chasing it anymore.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
He used to love the laser pointer, but one day, he walked right up to me and batted at the pointer itself. Ever since he figured it out, he sees the dot, looks up at my hand and doesn't even bother chasing it anymore.
lol Gypsy figured it out too.. but she will look at my hand to see which way its pointing then look in that direction.. If I am pointing it up, she looks at the ceiling.. if I am pointing it in another direction and behind something she heads that way and "stalks" it. If she loses track of it she will cast a glance at my hand then go in that direction to find it. I have to move it in large areas because my dog will also chase it and it ends up with them both trying to beat each other to it and a 46lb. dog pounce just as a 7lb kitten pounces is funny..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cat's are pretty smart. Nigel just stalking it, period. If I turn it on, he immediately walks up to my hand and bats at it.

Although, now that I have a new kitten in the house who is loving the laser pointer, it has essentially brought some life back into Nigel and I will occasionally see him join in the fun.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I dunno. Miu would do that after playing with the laser pointer, but I didn't think it was so good for her so I stopped. Not that she doesn't get enough exercise. She wears herself enough by running around the house at top speeds.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the laser point sounds good, then i dont have to worry about Mouse chewing the ends of the elastic. will have go and buy one now.

I've followed your advice and as soon as she starts to breath 'heavy' we stop and start up again after a short break.

Thanks for all the help and comments on this :D

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
My boys also used to do this when they were babies so I asked my vet about it.

She explained it in a way that made a lot of sense. Basically no cat's don't usually pant, but neither do people. Panting means you have been very active, or are too hot. It's not bad for you in and of itself, and TBH I think a little strenuous exercise is good for them!

I was careful with Doran, since he had a fairly serious heart murmer, but I'd let Muffin play until HE chose to stop. Even if he was panting. If he could still chase the toy we still played. It did help that the boys tended to take turns, so once the first one got too tired he'd back off to take a break and the other would get a turn. I did still let Doran get to the panting state, but I'd make sure he took enough breaks.

The boys would regularly play with each other until they were panting when they were younger. Now they tend to race and race and race, then stop and wrestle for a bit, then race around again. It seemed to build up their stamina, and muscle mass.

I do think the fact that they played so much, along with a great diet, helped Doran grow out of his murmur. JMO anyways. The vey had NO idea why he grew out of it. It was bad enough that the vet thought we might have to do surgery when he hit 2. By then it was only noticeable when he was nervous/over excited. At our last vet visit, 3 years old, it was gone completely.

I say let them set the pace. If he's still willing to go then let him. We let kids play soccer/football/ect until they're tired. Why not kitties too?

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
It's like a puppy. A good puppy is a TIRED puppy. ;) Same for kittens. I know when SHepherd is sleeping off a heavy duty play session I don't have to worry about what he's up too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts