Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little freaked out today...
I went to the gynecologist today and mentioned that I often have pain after.... :oops: you know. So now they want me to have an ultrasound to check me out and check for any cysts, endometriosis, fibroid uterus to rule out any of that. I am worried that there is something wrong and that for all I know, I could have fertility problems. I will be having it done on May 5 unless I can get it ealier. They will do an abdominal ultrasound first and if they don't see anything, they will do a transvaginal ultrasound. 8O
I also was telling my husband that it was making me a little sad and bummed out that I was going to be getting an ultrasound and I'll have this flat stomach and no baby. I always had this mental image of getting an ultrasound and having my husband beside me holding my hand and seeing the baby on the monitor. He didn't really "get it" but I think other women might understand what I mean. Not to mention I wish I could have a child now but we have to wait several years until we are more financially ready. And now I'm worried that something may be wrong and who knows if I will even be able to have a baby. Or maybe it might take a long time? I just don't know.
Anyway, prayers and good thoughts are appreciated....that is nothing seriously wrong.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh, dear , this does sound frightening :( I hope that you get better answers than you think you are going to get. Will your husband go with you anway and hold your hand?

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
Aww, well don't get too upset yet because it could be something very small. My sister had issues with her pap smears and they were saying it could be cancer but it's nothing huge. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you though...I wish you the best of luck.

And I understand about the ultrasound thing...I don't know if men "get" it...I'd feel the same way, though.

G

·
0 Posts
I'll be thinking of you. I've had female probs in the past and I know it's very nerve racking till you get some answers.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I moved the date up to April 11 even though I have to take another day off work. I just want to know as soon as possible.
I asked my husband if he would come and he asked why. I told him for moral support and he said okay, he would if I wanted him to.
I will update when I have more news. This is really bugging me right now because I would really like to be having kids right now, but we can't because of our financial situation. And now I'm thinking "what if I have problems getting pregnant". I'm getting ahead of myself, I know. :(

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I understand how you feel, Shannon. This is not what you pictured having an ultrasound for. :(

I'm glad your doctor is being thorough and cautious in checking out the reasons for your pain. Many of us have gone through similar experiences at one time or another and things turned out to be fine. These female issues can be pretty mystifying at times!

Sending good wishes your way. I know, it is hard not to worry. Be good to yourself.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today was the day. The good news is that they did not see anything abnormal on the ultrasound. The bad news is that now she may want me to do a laparoscopy to check for endometriosis since the ultrasound might now have picked it up. First, I am trying some higher dose birth control pills for a couple months (I am on the lowest dosage now) because she thinks maybe the low dosage is making my uterus very sensitive. If that doesn't make a difference, she wants to proceed to the laparoscopy. After reading about the procedure, I am really worried. For one, it would likely cost quite a bit of money, which we do not have since I am the only income earner while my husband is trying to start up his business. Also, it looks like the recovery can be painful. My gynecologist said that she can do the surgery on a Thursday and I could go back to work on a Monday, but the websites I was reading said it would take 1-2 weeks to go back to your normal activities. :?
I just don't see how it would be necessary to do it. I don't know if I will have problems with fertility or not. My mom and grandmothers had no problems at all. I could see how, if I was having problems conceiving, how I might want to do the procedure. But then again, if I do have problems, I guess it would be better for me to do it now so that I will not waste precious time getting nowhere when I try to get pregnant.
Having the pain does not bother me too much, it is just a nuisance. I just worry that maybe I am infertile and I don't know it. I don't know what to do. I am so worried right now about everything...it keeps taking my husband longer and longer to get his business going and right now we are not able to save barely any money. We need to have this money so we can buy a house and newer non-hoopty cars before we can think about having kids. I am so worried of how much time all this will take and how old I will be by the time I will be able to try and then I may not even be fertile. I know I will be worried until the day I find out I am pregnant. :( I'm sorry if none of this makes sense, I am really upset right now. :cry:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You've got hopes and dreams and of course you feel fear when something like this happens. *patpat*

Even if it does turn out to be endometriosis, that doesn't automatically mean you won't be able to conceive. Lots of women overcome it and have children. As soon as you find out what the problem is, educate yourself as much as you can about it so you and your doctor can work together to get you through it.

As far as the money thing goes, in another thread I started about my cat's skin problem Meowmie gave me a link to a place where you could get some help with that, so I will pass it along to you now. I haven't really been able to check it out thoroughly yet, but you could look into it:
http://www.carecredit.com/index.htm

Good luck...and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers! :)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I had a laprascopy done many years ago and I must admit it was basically a "nothing" type surgery. You are having an exploratory laprascopy to see if you might have endometriosis or possibly fibroids or even ovarian cysts that may be causing your pain. All of these disorders can be detected by the procedure. It was virtually painless for me and the recovery was quick and also painless. All they're doing is making an incision thru your belly button and looking around your uterus with a microscope.

Good luck and I'm sure it will be a breeze for you also. Think positive!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hmm...it sounds like they do that procedure in much the same way as they did when I got my tubes tied. You will have a sore belly and maybe some cramping if they used a probe to move your uterus around a little so they could look at it. Wear some comfy light pants with an elastic waistband and keep it down below your belly button so it won't bother you a lot. They might also inflate your abdominal cavity with CO2 a little to "lift" other organs out of the way of the scope. When the procedure is done, the doctor will remove as much of the gas as possible, but sometimes there is no way to get it all out. Your body will absorb it quickly but you might have some shoulder pain when you are standing or sitting. Lying down helps alleviate the pressure, not that you wouldn't be doing that anyway! You'll have to avoid any heavy lifting or strenuous activity for a week or two afterward but you get back to feeling pretty normal in a day or so.

I asked my doctor why I had to have general anesthesia for my surgery and he told me the CO2 puts pressure on the diaphragm from below and it would give me the sensation that I couldn't breathe. I don't know if they'll do that in your case, but if they do now you know why.

Don't worry. It's not terrible so much as uncomfortable. The worst thing for me was the IV fluids they gave me while I was anesthetized made me have to pee a LOT every 30 minutes or so after I woke up when all I wanted to do was lay down and go to sleep! :oops:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am not sure what I want to do at this point.
My mom and sister-in-law think that I should just wait and do it if, after I start trying to get pregnant, I am having problems. I am kind of inclined to do this. My husband also wants to try a "wait and see" approach. He doesn't think anything is seriuosly wrong. My sister-in-law had a laparoscopy done and she told me about the procedure...it doesn't sound horrible, but I see no point in going through it and spending the money if I may not even have problems at all. My family is very fertile and back before I was on birth control, I could feel it when I was ovulating.
It doesn't seem like it would hurt anything to wait other than maybe it might take longer to get pregnant if I do have problems.
I will talk to my doctor about it the next time I go in. If she very strongly wants me to have the procedure, then maybe I will go ahead and do it. I'm not sure if it would be worth getting a second opinion on this. I wish I knew an OB/GYN that I could ask if they would be recommending this procedure to someone with my situation/symptoms.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hi, I've sat in on 2 lap procedure that sounds similar to yours. The first one, the lady was asleep and the whole thing (from start to finish) was 45 minutes. The second one, she has what they call "conscious sedation" where you're awake, but the medication they give won't let you remember what happened. Generally speaking the recovery time is very short and you're back to feeling well before you know it :) My patient (the first lady) went back to work two days later (she's had some scar tissue removed in addition). Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts