Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Past two years were emotionally very difficult, and somewhere along the line, i ended with two additional persian cats, on top of my 7 year old white persian. So right now we have a 7 year old, a 9 months old and a 10 weeks old, all three long haired persians.
Situation is unbearable. Hair is flying everywhere, especially when AC is on, and not to mention ceiling fans in each room, being that we live in Phoenix AZ.
I clean every day, i vacuum every day, and i am not sure how long i can keep it up. Everyone else is busy with their own things, and i also have full time job, but it has to be done. Hair is literally everyone, and i am not joking. Plants are covered and entangled with hairs, couches, walls, furniture, not to mention curtains. It takes me aprox. 4 hours to wash, clean, lint-roll and iron curtains.
My life turned into hair -removal. There is no time left for anything remotely personal, and enjoyable, and i feel like a prisoner. I don't want to get rid of any of them, but my doctor also seems to think that i might be allergic to cats as well (getting allergy tested in a week).
On top of everything our oldest cat is holding us hostage for 7 years now, by taking dumps on couches, pillows, and beds, so we have to keep all the doors in the house closed at all times, and also put plastic on the sofas even if we leave the room for 5 minutes. It's plastic on, plastic off-whole day,everyday.
We tried every fix suggested by people and by our vet, nothing helped, she is just one of THOSE cats.
I was wondering how everyone else is managing hair from multiple cats, and i don't mean the tumblehairs on the floor. I mean on those that end up in your plants, tv, walls, ETC.
Thanks in advance.:?

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
Wow. I have four long-haired cats and no problems even remotely close to that.

How often do you brush them? What are you feeding them?

I seriously hope we can help you, because that's no way to live.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You can always get them some lion cuts:

but persians need regular grooming. How often do you comb them? Daily combing will greatly reduce the amount of fur flying around the house. Some people also have had great success with the Furminator.

·
Registered
316 Posts
As the other two mentioned, grooming is a must for long-haired cats. Also, if you are feeding lower quality food a higher grade will help. Even after only half a week of a little bit of brushing and some better food, I already have seen a great improvement in my Ariel's coat. (He is a short hair, but he is a Russian Blue mix so he has a thick silky and plush coat that needs a good brushing now and again.) One of the improvements is that my shirt is no longer coated in cat hair after a cuddling session. :lol:

But I definitely hope you find something helpful here- as Marie said, that is no way to live!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My oldest 7 year old cat is impossible to groom. For 7 years now we have been paying 158 bucks every year to have her shaved by a vet, while totally asleep. No groomer wants to see her anymore, as last one got bit to the point where she shed blood. Right now, we are kinda short on money like most people, and i can't afford to get her to the vet to be shaved. Grooming is impossible as she turns into beast and is really dangerous. The 10 week old kitten isn't shedding yet, and our 9 month old red persian is getting knotted as of lately, and she also, isn't fond of brushing even though my daughter has been brushing her since 9 weeks. But it can be handled when neccessary. What's good actually, is the fact that all three let me cut their nails, so we can at least brush two of them. The white one is out of question.
I have been feeding them Purina indoor formula since day one, and never had any health issues, but i am willing to switch to different food in order to reduce shedding. What can you recommend? I have to buy food for them tomorrow, maybe i could fetch something new... :)
Thank you all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts