Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I give my cats 3 meals each day, 2 canned and 1 raw before bedtime. Usually the raw meat is chicken, but I started giving my cats raw porks lately. My cats had 6 raw pork meals so far, and here is the problem:

Day 1&2: Raw pork with no problem
Day 3: I gave them a chicken heart meal
Day 4: Pork again, and this time Meatball threw up everything 10 minutes after eating her meal
Day 5: I thought maybe she had a upset stomach or hairball, so tried with pork again. And again, she threw up shortly after meal
Day 6&7: Decided to give her stomach a break, so back to raw chicken. Everything good
Day 8: Back to pork. In case she was throwing up due to eating too fast, this time I cut the meat to very tiny pieces and mixed with some water, to slow down her eating. No throw up, so I thought problem solved
Day 9 (last night): Pork cut in tiny pieces. And guess what? She threw up again! :sad:

I'm clueless what's going on... Meatball is healthy, and even after throwing up, she didn't look uncomfortable. I offered some canned meal after she threw up last night. She digged in happliy and didn't throw up. Any thoughts? Anything else I can try? Btw, the pork for all these nights are from the same piece, and my other cat Metoo ate them with no problem at all.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The only thing I can think of are (1) temperature of the pork (2) too hungry (too much acid in stomach?); (3) same piece of meat, but texture may have changed a little (slime factor). Ritz sometimes throws up, usually because she was hungry so she ate cat grass and then raw food and/or or she ate too quickly. (Pork is one of her favorite foods.) Course, she may be developing a sensitivity to pork. Try another cut from the pig. Did she throw up only in the morning, only in the evening, or both.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for offering help!

Did she throw up only in the morning, only in the evening, or both.
They only get one raw meal each day, which is at night around 11pm. Meatball is fine with all canned meals. She never threw up before, no matter raw or canned.

She could just be allergic to pork. If it happens relatively consistently, I would just find a different meat to feed. :smile:
I thought about allergic, but then she is fine for 3 pork meals out of 6, so I'm not sure. I'm also thinking about abandoning pork if I cannot solve the mystery. That would be a disappointment to me and my cats though (I think they like pork better than chicken).

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
i vote for the allergy first. i'm sure that's what it was with our first kitty except it was raw beef in her case. it was over the course of a week that we tried the beef on and off and she seemed to like it for the first few times, but then she did start throwing up immediately after it after the 3rd day or so. she also developed scabs within a week's time, so we stopped the beef and her scabs AND throwing up went away.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mice is a no-go. Ordered some frozen ones for snake feed and my cats were not interested in a slightest bit. Besides, my parents gonna live with me for a few months soon, and mom definitely doesn't want any mice in my home, dead or alive. If she find out I put mice in the same fridge for our food, she will possbily feed ME to my cats. (On the plus side, that's a new protein source for them :lol:)

I will try beef and lamb. They are not very thrilled with duck. I can find rabbit but it's so expensive. It's a pity though, since pork is the cheapest meat among all...

she also developed scabs within a week's time, so we stopped the beef and her scabs AND throwing up went away.
Scab? What scab? Now you are scaring me... I was planning to give Meatball one last test tonight, but after reading this... She will get chicken tonight. And Metoo can have the rest of the pork.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks AC! I guess it would be hard to find out what the pigs were fed with and the price for pigs that were fed with "appropriate diet" is possibly off the roof. So... Most likely no pork for Meatball anymore :/

But it is interesting to know. They say you are what you eat, and I guess now we can say you are also what you eat eats :lol:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Scab? What scab? Now you are scaring me.
didn't mean to scare you too badly. it was just with the allergy, i think her skin started breaking out a little in a rash or a hives or something - you know, like a human's response to an allergy. so the rash turned into little scabs and flaked off. but like i said, they went away once we stopped the beef.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts