Cat Forum banner

throwing up...need advice

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  qtsam111 
#1 ·
Schnitzel, our 2 and a half year old, only throws up once in a while and there's always a huge hairball in it, giving us a reason for the puke. However, yesterday we noticed something rather odd. She had obviously attempted to go to the bathroom but wasn't quite successful. It was (gross) stuck. I asked my sister in law who has had many cats and she said she's probably constipated and to give her a little milk. We did and she went and got it all out...no big deal. Wrong. At about midnight we woke up because she threw up. No hairball was present. So now I'm a bit worried bit trying to relax. She's active and acting normal and has an appetite. Well just now she threw up again. No solid food and no hairball. So that's the second time in 24 hours. Again, still acting completely normal. We're planning on taking her in tomorrow but I'm wondering if there are any more ideas anyone has to try to tell what it is. We don't leave anything small enough yo ingest out but I suppose you never know what they could get their hands on. I'm scared it's an obstruction of some sort. Any advice?

#2 ·
Umm perhaps the milk? Dont think cats should be drinking milk, expecially cows milk... even humans have a hard time digesting milk. Maybe thats the cause of it?

#5 ·
I agree with Morquinn. The problem is likely the milk. Many cats are lactose intolerant, and shouldn't be given milk or other dairy products. I gave Muffs milk once (before I knew not to) and she threw up a few hours later. About a month later, I had pizza, and I left some slices in the box on the coffee table when I went to answer the phone. When I came back, little Muffs was sitting in the pizza box happily munching on the cheese! Later that night, she threw up again.

If Schnitzel is otherwise acting completely normal, doesn't continue to throw up and her bowel movements tomorrow are normal, then I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't give her milk again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.