Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thurston is living with my Mom now. (if you recall, he went to live with my brother for a bit, but then came back, in the meantime, I moved out with my lot so he's now an only pet in a one person house). Anyway, my Mom was in the hospital for ten days and he just had me coming over twice a day to feed and play with him where he was used to pretty much constantly having company.

So my mom came home Monday night and has been having home health come out to administer IV meds and take care of some other things. One of the home health aids she has had for several months already and knows Thurston. This home health aid was petting Thurston on Tuesday and Thurston attacked her and mauled her arm! 8O She had multiple deep bite wounds and several deep scratches.

I wasn't there, but Mom said she was scratching him on his head then moved down his back and started rubbing him over his hips and rubbing the hair the wrong way and thats when he did it. He has never ever ever ever done anything like this before, not even at the vet!

SO, Wanda has been really nice about it but she had to go to the doctor to get antibiotics and by law, the doctor had to report the bite.

So today we got a visit from Animal Control. I was expecting it, so had his current rabies papers in order. We explained that he was current on all vaccines and indoors only. They agreed to let us quarantine him at the house for the ten day period. But he has to stay in one room of the house away from anyone who might come in (there have to be two doors between him and outside.)

I feel so sorry for poor Thurston. He's been through so much lately. I know he's not a vicious cat. He's just out of sorts.

Only a matter of time before the law comes for Ninja though. ;)

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Poor Thurston. Talk about someone rubbing you the wrong way!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. It's good that the nurse has been friendly about the situation, it could have been a lot worse.

The quarantine process seems a bit excessive. Yes, I know, it's the law and standard procedure, etc. However, discretion works well in cases like this where the kitty is indoors only.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I am sorry this happened to Thurston. Sometimes you never know what might tick off a cat. I had no idea that a cat would need to be quarantined in his own home. Well hopefully he will not suffer any emotional trauma after this. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I agree, you never know what can tick off a cat. Their senses are so strong that something we don't think twice about could be really irritating to them, and they react in the only way they can since they can't speak human.

Anyways, it seems like an isolated incident. Hope things turn out okay for Thurston, Kobster!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are a bit lax on his "incarceration" We put him in the bedroom when we have home health in, but when its just us, he's out with us. He has never ever tried to get outside so I really don't think its an issue. The AC officer didn't seem really concerned. Its just the way they do things here. Silly, I know.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
That seems like a either a really serious mauling or a really serious over-reaction. My cat attacks people for no reason pretty often... though usually this just involves him biting us really hard...

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thank goodness he is up to date on his vaccines, or it could have been a case of destroy now, ask questions later. I know of another instance where the cat who uncharacteristically bit, was not up to date and bit the vet tech, in the vet's office.

Just another reason to keep your cat rabies vaccination up to date.

Hope Thurston is settling down and feeling less stress now.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Absolutely! I always cringe when people say "well he's indoors only so I don't bother with his shots" because this could happen to anyone and they could lose their cat because of it.

Thurston is doing well. I snuck him a nail fail in with his canned food this morning and I caught him making a shiv out of a bar of soap earlier......

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Very cute image! :grin:

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Whenever I see his name, I think of Gilligan's Island.

Thurston Howl the First! :grin:

·
Registered
293 Posts
We had this happen with a cat who bit a Vet tech during a spay procedure. What I don't understand is why must they be quarantined if they have up to date rabies vaccine?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts