Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our wonderful orange tabby boy Tiggee was just diagnosed with a severe upper respiratory infection. He has been deteriorating for several days but because of Covid restrictions our vet could only see him now. Tiggee was severly dehydrated and was given IV fluids and antibiotics and was sent home. He usually has such a wonderful singing voice and is my therapy cat but now he is so sick.
Is this really serious? Are there things we can do at home for him? We have 2 other cats so I guess we should keep them away from Tiggee. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Upper respiratory infections are very contagious in cats. Usually if the cat is healthy they can fight it off but I would quarantine him anyhow. Did the vet have an idea why he got the URi? Is he old? Usually the cats I get with a respiratory issue are ones trapped for TNR so they are stressed and usually not in the best health.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Tiggee is only 8 years old and has been in good health up till now. We got him and our other 2 cats as rescues when they were kittens about 9 years ago. We live on a farm and rescue cats each year and socialize them and then find good homes for them. But these 3 we kept for ourselves and they have done well.
The vet did not offer any ideas how Tiggee got this problem. He is doing a little better but we still cannot get him to drink as his nose is stuffed and he doesn't trust the drinks. Our other cats are ok so far but we live in a small house so it is tough to isolate them. Any other thoughts? Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is he not drinking at all?.....Is he eating?.....If he is eating wet food, he is getting some moisture from that.....If he continues to refuse water, you may have to give him some water through a syringe, or either take him back to vet for more fluids.
Is there one room in the house you could possibly confine him to?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for helping. We got some chicken broth and heated it up and Tiggee drank some of it. He is doing better now after almost one week. His little nose is draining lie crazy and he still has a very loud purr but he is more energetic and alert. We hope our other cats will not catch it but we cannot isolate them as we live in a small house. He is 8 years old and is our cuddling therapy cat so we all miss that for now. Thanks again. We did try a syringe and that helped a little but he would spit it out. All the vets here are closed except for emergencies so I guess we were lucky to at least get him seen last week for a few minutes and get a shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts