Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this problem? He only drinks maybe 1/2 a cup of water a day and his pee is really strong. Is this because he doesn't drink enough water?

Help

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I don't know how much is enough, I'll wait for Dr. Jean's answer when you get a chance to give her more info.

But I did have a suggestion for encouraging him to drink more; a Drinkwell or PetMate fountain may help. Mine all love their fountain, but I have also read other posts where the cats couldn't be bothered. In any case, I think it's worth a try. :D

Here's Mozart enjoying his fountain!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He has a self feeder with his dry food Purina light dry food. And Friskies Wet when he asks for it

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Superkitties, How often does the water need to be changed in those fountains? How much did you pay for it? Most importantly???
Does it stop your cats from what I call "water faucet harrassment"?

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
BoscosMum said:
Does it stop your cats from what I call "water faucet harrassment"?
:lol: I know exactly what you mean!! Before we got our pet fountain you couldn't use the bathroom without a little black head trying to get under the faucet to drink! Cute, but it got old. Plus I never got the feeling she was really getting enough to drink.
I am sure Superkitties will agree, the fountain is great. I use filtered water in mine, which I definately think helps keep the fountain clean. At least a couple times a week you need to take it apart and clean it and the reservior needs refilling every few days. It certainly depends on how many pets you have drinking for it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Cats on a dry diet take in about half the water of cats eating exclusively wet food. This is a problem because it predisposes them to urinary tract crystals and blockages. Light food is worse, because what little water they do take in is held in the colon and unavailable to help dilute the urine. More canned food is the solution. For more info, please see the articles on cat nutrition in our free article library; you can "sort" by clicking on "Category" at the top of the column, so all the nutrition articles are together. http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library

BTW, I LOVE my pet fountain! I change the water about once a week. And yes, it absolutely does stop "water faucet harrassment" (three of mine were constantly in the sink before I got the fountain!).

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Water faucet harrassment.....it is so bad he will wake up everyone in the house at 3am meowing at the faucet....as if it is magically going to turn on by his command!! LOL!

I have offered my cat wet food on several occasions, he will not eat it...
I am going to spend some time reading in the nutrition threads.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Lots of good info already, I'll just add mine for reference. :)

* Water change once a day, since I hate seeing particles in the water.
* Scrub once a week w/ dishwashing liquid, very easy to do, not many parts to it.
* LOL! Sure did stop the faucet harassment.
* Paid $25 plus $3 shipping online for a deluxe PetMate (larger reservoir). But this was a couple years ago. Now you should be able to find it for the same price or less at stores, during sales.

Like Lori said, these guys LOVE IT!!!! During scorching days, I put ice in it too, they love batting them around and drinking.

Tigger's Mom, I've been trying to figure out possible causes for what you described as his "strong urine" when he's already neutered, sorry, I don't know enough to give any suggestions. Hopefully someone else will have some thoughts for you. :)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Superkitties said:
Like Lori said, these guys LOVE IT!!!! During scorching days, I put ice in it too, they love batting them around and drinking.
Great idea!! Velvet loves ice. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I purchased a free flow water and he seems to be okay with it and started feeding him more wet food and he seems to drink more.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
23 Posts
How much water should a kiity drink on an average? I do not see my kitty drink much so I got her the Petsmate waterflow fountain thinking that it might make her drink more. But I have not seen her drinking from it at all and I am getting a bit concerned.

She is on a wet food diet and I mix in a few tablespoons of water everytime I feed her(3 times a day). She likes it that way - like a soup. So I am guessing that she gets her water this way and maybe that is way she is not drinking just plain water. Any thoughts/suggestions.

Summer

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How old is your kitty

mine chose not to drink his water unless it was in the bath tub then i got the fresh flow fountain and he still plays in the water but i had to turn the pump up to full. He is drinking better though just give it time.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Since I switched completely to wet food, I haven't seen any of my kitties drink water at all. Since you are feeding wet food and also mixing water with it, I wouldn't worry that your kitty isn't getting enough water.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh good to know that! I just want her to be a nice and healthy kitty after all that she has been through. :)
Thanks for all your replies!!
Summer

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
queen of the nile???
So you mean when cats eat wet food diet they drink less???
I read somewhere else they will drink more water?
Now I am confused! :?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Cats on wet food take in more water, because of the higher water content of the food. They drink less from a bowl since they are satisfying their needs by eating the wet food. Cats on dry diets drink more water from a bowl, but their total water intake (because the food has so little moisture) is about half that of a cat eating wet food.

Now, is that clear as mud?

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 20 of 20 Posts