Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in another tread, I'm switching to wet and right now I'm trying to Tiki Cat. Can anyone who understands more about cat nutrition tell me if this a good food or not? It doesn't advertise as grain-free, but I think that's because some of them are on rice. Also, a majority of their flavors are types of fish. Is fish ok or are other types of meat better for cats? They do have a couple chicken flavors.

Petropics - Tiki Cat, Tiki Dog, Tiki Bird, Tiki FurBalls - For the Pets We Love

·
Premium Member
18,379 Posts
Tiki Cat is an awesome food. Yes, there are some flavors that are not grain free, but rice is one of the most benign grains and it's not a major source of the protein in the food, it's also not a major carb source in this food. If your cat doesn't have an issue with grains, I wouldn't be too concerned abut it.

Fish is something that should not be a major part of a cats diet....using a primarily fish flavor once or twice a week is the max I would recommend. Use it in rotation with other brands/flavors.

The Tiki chicken flavors are a favorite in my house. They're expensive, but the can is packed with white meat and very little juice (as opposed to Weruva which is cheaper but is at least half gravy).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! One of the samples I was given was a chicken with salmon, and Lexi just gobbled it up.

What are other premium brands that are NOT pate? Lexi doesn't like pate, that's why Tiki Cat was suggested.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
My girls don't like pate either. The other non-pate brands that I have fed in the past include Weruva, Wellness (pouches) and Merrick.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Natural Balance now makes non-pate pouches too, and most are grain-free. My girls just gobble them down, so they get 3 paws up! I can find them at Petco, and they are cheaper then the Wellness pouches. I think there are like 8 different flavors...my girls favorites are the Chicken and Chicken Liver and the Turkey, Duck, and Chicken one.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My girls don't like pate either. The other non-pate brands that I have fed in the past include Weruva, Wellness (pouches) and Merrick.
What Merrick flavors do you feed, Susan? Rocky doesn't like the pate kind either, but he seemed to like the before grain from Merrick, and that's juicy pate.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
What Merrick flavors do you feed, Susan? Rocky doesn't like the pate kind either, but he seemed to like the before grain from Merrick, and that's juicy pate.
Ah...now that's why I said "in the past". I used to feed them several Merrick flavors, but they were both fish (I think one was called Ocean Grill, another was Surf & Turf, and I think the other was "California Roll" or something like that). However, last year, my girls went on a "hunger strike" when I stopped feeding them fish. Little devils! I finally solved that problem, but I now no longer feed them any fish-flavored foods. So, these days, they only get Weruva or Wellness (and only the non-fish flavors). If your cats are ok with getting fish every once in a while then you should be fine, but I fear if my girls get fish even once, they will then refuse everything else. So, they lead a fish-less life!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ah...now that's why I said "in the past". I used to feed them several Merrick flavors, but they were both fish (I think one was called Ocean Grill, another was Surf & Turf, and I think the other was "California Roll" or something like that). However, last year, my girls went on a "hunger strike" when I stopped feeding them fish. Little devils! I finally solved that problem, but I now no longer feed them any fish-flavored foods. So, these days, they only get Weruva or Wellness (and only the non-fish flavors). If your cats are ok with getting fish every once in a while then you should be fine, but I fear if my girls get fish even once, they will then refuse everything else. So, they lead a fish-less life!
I actually used to feed Rocky more fish flavors prior to reading about in this forum how addicted to the fish flavors they can become; so, i pulled back on the fish flavors, and he predominantly eats chicken now. I would like to also have him be on some turkey, quail, and other proteins. I'm going food shopping for him today, so i'm going to figure out some good things to get him :) Perhaps some Wellness, does that come in non-pate?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
i believe there is a new line of wellness that is cubed, sliced and minced. good luck!
Yes there are! I totally forgot about those since they are so new! I haven't tried them yet, but they look really tasty. Here's a link to the Cubed Chicken Entree. Check them out! The only reason I haven't tried them yet, is the price...they are rather expensive little 3 oz cans, even for Wellness...

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I recall hearing about the new Wellness minced, cubed, etc., but I too forgot all about them. I must try them out on Ms. Finicky and Ms. Pernickety!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I'm going to order some on payday, unless they're actually in stock at Petsmart. I hate buying large quantities when we're just trying it. Luckily Sam will eat it if Lexi won't, so it's not a complete waste.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Yeah I'm going to order some on payday, unless they're actually in stock at Petsmart. I hate buying large quantities when we're just trying it. Luckily Sam will eat it if Lexi won't, so it's not a complete waste.
I know for sure Petco has the new Wellness line, but I haven't seen them at my PetSmart yet...maybe mine is just slow. :p

I also found another non-pate food. I bought some AvoDerm Naturals on sale, and I was really impressed with the way it looked and smelled. And for being a cheaper grain-free, the ingredients aren't bad. The Chicken Chunks and Gravy was a huge hit with all my girls. AvoDerm Naturals also has a new line called Wild By Nature (think Tiki Cat...they are fish based chunky pieces in gravy/liquid). I don't feed a whole lot of fish, but the girls get it once or twice a week. I tried both the Salmon in Salmon Consomme and the Swordfish in Swordfish Consomme. Both received very high marks from all my girls, and again I was very impressed with the looks and smell of the food. This would be a cheaper Tiki Cat alternative. :) Unfortunately, the Wild by Nature line is strictly fish, so special treat only for my girls.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll have to try to AvoDerm! I like that they have a couple different flavors that don't have fish. Cheaper alternative is ideal too! It looks like the cost of cat food is going to be more than my monthly grocery budget. It's kinda scary when you're spending more on cat food than your own food, lol.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I'll have to try to AvoDerm! I like that they have a couple different flavors that don't have fish. Cheaper alternative is ideal too! It looks like the cost of cat food is going to be more than my monthly grocery budget. It's kinda scary when you're spending more on cat food than your own food, lol.
Yeah, it is kind of scary...and I think my cats eat better than I do (at least I look at ingredient lists for their food, lol!). :p

I will warn you, that not all AvoDerm Naturals are non-pate. I've also tried the regular Chicken and Salmon flavors and both were pate. So far only the Chicken Chunks in Gravy ("pink" can) and the Wild by Nature line are the only non-pate I've found.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
My girls are eating Merrick Turducken with no hesitation. They used to love Grammy's Pot Pie and Thanksgiving Day, I'm going to try those next.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts