Cat Forum banner

Tiki Cat?

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  marie73 
#1 ·
As I mentioned in another tread, I'm switching to wet and right now I'm trying to Tiki Cat. Can anyone who understands more about cat nutrition tell me if this a good food or not? It doesn't advertise as grain-free, but I think that's because some of them are on rice. Also, a majority of their flavors are types of fish. Is fish ok or are other types of meat better for cats? They do have a couple chicken flavors.

Petropics - Tiki Cat, Tiki Dog, Tiki Bird, Tiki FurBalls - For the Pets We Love

#2 ·
Tiki Cat is an awesome food. Yes, there are some flavors that are not grain free, but rice is one of the most benign grains and it's not a major source of the protein in the food, it's also not a major carb source in this food. If your cat doesn't have an issue with grains, I wouldn't be too concerned abut it.

Fish is something that should not be a major part of a cats diet....using a primarily fish flavor once or twice a week is the max I would recommend. Use it in rotation with other brands/flavors.

The Tiki chicken flavors are a favorite in my house. They're expensive, but the can is packed with white meat and very little juice (as opposed to Weruva which is cheaper but is at least half gravy).

#5 ·
Natural Balance now makes non-pate pouches too, and most are grain-free. My girls just gobble them down, so they get 3 paws up! I can find them at Petco, and they are cheaper then the Wellness pouches. I think there are like 8 different flavors...my girls favorites are the Chicken and Chicken Liver and the Turkey, Duck, and Chicken one.

#15 ·
I know for sure Petco has the new Wellness line, but I haven't seen them at my PetSmart yet...maybe mine is just slow. :p

I also found another non-pate food. I bought some AvoDerm Naturals on sale, and I was really impressed with the way it looked and smelled. And for being a cheaper grain-free, the ingredients aren't bad. The Chicken Chunks and Gravy was a huge hit with all my girls. AvoDerm Naturals also has a new line called Wild By Nature (think Tiki Cat...they are fish based chunky pieces in gravy/liquid). I don't feed a whole lot of fish, but the girls get it once or twice a week. I tried both the Salmon in Salmon Consomme and the Swordfish in Swordfish Consomme. Both received very high marks from all my girls, and again I was very impressed with the looks and smell of the food. This would be a cheaper Tiki Cat alternative. :) Unfortunately, the Wild by Nature line is strictly fish, so special treat only for my girls.

#16 ·
I'll have to try to AvoDerm! I like that they have a couple different flavors that don't have fish. Cheaper alternative is ideal too! It looks like the cost of cat food is going to be more than my monthly grocery budget. It's kinda scary when you're spending more on cat food than your own food, lol.

#17 ·
Yeah, it is kind of scary...and I think my cats eat better than I do (at least I look at ingredient lists for their food, lol!). :p

I will warn you, that not all AvoDerm Naturals are non-pate. I've also tried the regular Chicken and Salmon flavors and both were pate. So far only the Chicken Chunks in Gravy ("pink" can) and the Wild by Nature line are the only non-pate I've found.

#18 ·
My girls are eating Merrick Turducken with no hesitation. They used to love Grammy's Pot Pie and Thanksgiving Day, I'm going to try those next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.