Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When your kitty does something that he isn't suppose to Do how long do you keep him in the quite room? Or do you not think its a good idea? Does it matter if he meows the whole time? What if you let him out after "X" amount of time and he runs straight to what he was doing before that got him put in the naughty room.
Sometimes when he does it and I get up and start walking towards him he runs right into the naughty room himself.

·
Registered
709 Posts
We have a cat aggro cat, and if he gets in trouble he goes to his kennel for about 10-15mins to calm down. He just lays there peacefully, it's not "horrible" for him. They also eat in those kennels, so it's not only a place for timeouts. Mind you, my cat is full grown. Isn't yours a kitten? Maybe a little less time, as kittens tend to get into trouble just for fun.. not a behavioural issue.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What he does is harass the 11 year old. I know the kitten just wants to play but mocha doesn't. So simba needs to realize this. The get along fine. Will eat out of the same dish and sleep within inches of each other. It's just simba wants to wrestle around. Mocha can still take him down but simba being a Savannah will get much bigger. When they start wrestling around the first thing simba does is flop over on his back (being submissive) but he doesn't know when to give it a rest and mocha gets mad. Mocha is declawed (11 years ago before I knew better) simba is not. Nobody is getting hurt. Mocha's long hair on his stomach is getting knotted up because of all the play bites. I have tried playing his favorite games until he is panting and he will still want to wrestle around with mocha.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Yeah, maybe a small 5 mins time out then a huge play session with Dad to get some the enegry out? Honestly, I think the best option is ANOTHER kitten he CAN roughhouse with. :D

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
The only time I use a time out on SHepherd Book is if either MowMOw or I are so angry we're ready to do damage to the little monster. Then I lock Book up for his protection. He usually knows when it gets to that point, all I have to say is "Get in your room, NAO!" and he hightails it into the crafting room.

I do the vacuum cleaner by the door trick now so if he starts howling (because he always does when he's locked up)then MowMow and I have cuddle time until everyone settles down.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Unfortunately Toby is as laid back as he is stubborn. If I put him in my room and close the door, when I go to let him out he's just laying there on the floor as if to say "big deal, I just used this nice quiet time to chill and take a nap"

·
Registered
131 Posts
We've been doing time-outs with Peanut when he's really being a bratty baby. We call it "baby-jail". He doesn't seem to learn from it though. He just sees it as an opportunity to nap.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sometimes he cries and other times he sits on a wash cloth on the bathroom counter.
Doesn't really detour his behavior. Doesn't seem to get mad at me either.

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
I gave my sweet little Cali her first time ever the other day. I let her out of her room after about 15 minutes and she had calmed down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts