Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title says, she needs some thoughts and prayers. She gets me worried over her all the time b/c a while ago (long while, over a year) she had a severe ear infection so her balance is off permantly now...Well this morning while I was out doing the morning chores (feeding/watering the goats/horses....getting the milking done) she didn't come to the barn...I called the cats (I have 5 barn cats) up for their breakfast....All came a running except her. So I searched for her kept hollering...she never came so I finished the chores and then started hunting for her again.

Well I found her under the pinetrees...At first I thought she was just being a stubborn brat, she's done it before, been too comfty to get up and come....so I reached in picked her up and she started growling and hissing. I put her down quickly and started petting her trying to calm her down. I thought she was throwing a hissy fit b/c Mellodie followed me. Well that wasn't the problem. I got the scruff of her neck with one and supported her with the other hand and very quickly went inside...she wasn't wanting to move around. She acted like she was in pain.

I called the vet and made an appointment but they couldn't get her in till this afternoon. Anywho, we took her in and she growled when I put her on the scale and she growled when I went to take her off of it...so I left her.

Vet came in and wanted to get a temperature on her so the lady held her and all heck broke loose....She was phsyco. She was meowing, growling, hissing, clawing anything she could get ahold of. So the vet (its a guy) said here, I'll hold her, you take the temp....even HE couldn't hold her for the temp. SO he decided to give her a shot of antibiotics and pain killer and give her 24 hrs....if there's no improvement I have to call him back tomorrow and take her back and they will sedate her to examine her and do xrays if they need to. He said he cant see what's wrong with her when she's like this so he may end up having to sedate her.

He wants to sedate her in the morning verses afternoon...Im assuming so there's enough 'recovery' time for waking up and making sure she's good to go...

Anywho, she's horrible with me trying to handle her, I got her in the large dog crate that way nothing can pick on her. As I was trying to get the door open to feed her she went crazy, not sure if the rattling of the cage hurt or what but she's a very painful kitty.

I hope the pain killers kick in. I hate seeing my animals in pain or sick. She doesn't appear to have any wounds on her and she knows better then to go the road so I don't have that problem....(we are back off the road anyways) I would think if a dog would have gotten ahold of her there would have been some sort of wound, of course I know that's not always the case.

We have no idea what is wrong with her other then she seems to be in really bad pain. SO I am expecting another vet bill b/c I know she'll end up going back...I just hope it's nothing serious!

She's quite the expensive barn cat. lol I love her though!

I know its typical for quite a few people not bother with taking their barn cats to the vet....they will either let the problem go and let it solve on its own time or let the cat die....or they will shoot them...So please dont lump all of us into one category when you hear someone has barn cats cuz some of us do care about the well being of the kitties!!
:catmilkOH and this is the second time this month that I've had an animal seen by the vet...he saw my horse last week and my horse was a much better patient...lol

Anywho, here's a pic of Tink on the scale at the vet office. Yea she's not impressed at all.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Tink is gorgeous. She does look very annoyed at being weighed. I hope she's ok and it ends up being something that isn't serious.....It's so hard to tell sometimes.... My first cat had to be sedated once for the vet to draw blood. When they don't want to do something nothing will make them change their minds.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oh no. Poor baby :( I hope she's sedated this time so she won't be so stressed. I'm sure that will make it easier on both you and her. Good luck!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's going to the vets tomorrow morning. She ate this morning plus I had to work and my mom is having surgery today so there's no one to take her today even if she didn't eat and they could have sedated her. Poor kitty. Atleast she has an appetite!! :) will let you know what I find out tomorrow. Right now she seems ok as long as she's staying still.

·
Registered
712 Posts
She's a gorgeous cat, lovely fur. I hope she gets better quickly, it is a good sign if she's eating. Good luck and best wishes.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well she's gone. I was trying to get her in the carrier. She was trying to attack me she then went to the door (screened in porch) and she ripped through the screen and got loose and attacked my dog in the process...she took off at a jog and was moving hunched up its either her hips or her back...she's hiding and I can't find her. *sighs* hopefully she'll get in the barn tonight. But as of right now she's MIA. I couldn't even get her to come up for food. :(

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I tried posting but my post didn't show up on my phone, so anyways I found her this afternoon and she attacked me again and got away. I found her hiding in the hay barn this evening so I asked my nephew to get her for me...so glad that he did to!! She's at the vets office and will be sedated and examined in the morning. :) I wanted her at the vets so she wouldn't escape again...I left her in the medium sized dog crate and just took the crate in! I knew she'd get away if we tried switching her.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok So a little more addition to what I posted earlier today, I was on my phone both times so I tried to keep the posts as short as possible.

When she escaped this morning and got through the screen door, she fell off the screen door and hit the step. I really really really hope that didn't hurt her worse. I can't believe she got through the screen! I so under estimated her strength. I thought I had a good hold of her. I had a blanket around her even with that though she was close to getting me with her claws.

The second time I found her, I'll be honest, I was scared to try to grab her after what she had done earlier....I tried to get her, I got the back of her neck and was trying to get her enough so I could get her in the carrier and she turned on me and almost got me again.

So she managed to escape that time to. I found her in the hay barn behind a bale of hay....I asked my nephew to get her b/c I didn't think I could handle her...he walked in there grabbed her by the scruff and got her in the cage, All in one swift movement. She didn't hiss/growl till he set her down in the cage. And even though he was really quick about it, he was gentle to. :)

I think she was reacting on my fear??? Maybe....?? I dont know...I'm just taking a guess on that...Or maybe she was wore out from todays events. Who knows. but Im so thankful my nephew was willing to come up and get her for me. :) Im so glad she's at the vets office. I really like our vet. He's awesome. He was suppose to be off tomorrow but he's willing to check her out...of course, he's seen her Monday so he knows how bad she is (pain wise, not attitude wise, well...attitude wise to I guess.) :p

Everyone at the vets office knows to handle her with caution, the lady wrote caution on her paper that is on her cage. All the girls in the office are super nice to and very understanding.

SO tomorrow, I'm hoping for news that she's not injured that bad...I hope she's just being a drama queen about it and she's going to be just fine...This is going to be a LONG night....As soon as I hear from the vet tomorrow, I'll update this thread. :)

Please keep my baby girl in your thoughts. :(

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vet called me. They did xrays. Nothing is broke. And they can't find a reason on her, behind the pain. The shaved her hindend looking for wounds and there weren't any.
The pain is in the hind end as I suspected. Dr. said to keep her cooped up for a week or so, that way she wont have to fend for herself and fight off other cats for her food/water. He's also going to put her on longer lasting pain meds.
Xrays showed that she has been shot a few times witha BB gun, all of those are older injuries....yes I am VERY VERY angry about that.....

·
Registered
712 Posts
The sounds positive, it's a good thing that nothing's broken- but still must be quite frustrating not having a definitive answer for what's going on. Well done for going through all that for your cat, it's lovely to see someone who really cares about an animal, especially as she's had some awful people hurt her, no wonder she's wary of people. I hope she pulls through quickly, and she doesn't cause you too many injuries in the mean time!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts