Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved today. Tina is doing okay I guess. She quickly jolted under a bed but she's came out and explored the room and is now laying on the bed. She has food and water in there. The litterbox is down the hall.

Any suggestions on making her comfortable and making sure she uses her litterbox?

There's also a new dog. She's been around him before but never for long. She's bigger than him, I might add. I was thinking about using a baby gate to keep him out of here so she can come here to get away.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
The baby gate is a good idea to give her the feeling of a safe place without the dog bothering her. I would have the litter box in the same room as the food until she feels really comfortable about her new digs. With the litter box "down the hall" she may feel too insecure to go out and use it and then will do her business in your bedroom.....which you won't want! In another week or two she should feel like exploring the rest of the space. Let her go at her own pace, and when she feels really comfortable and is meowing to be let out of the room, that's the time to take down the baby gate.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's actually exploring now!

The dog is asleep in one of the other rooms with the door closed. She's out looking around.

I've kept the door open as he's really no harm to her.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Good, guess you won't need the baby gate.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's doing super except for 1 thing!

She's eating and drinking. She's been all over the house. Sleeping on stuff, climbing on stuff, etc. She's got along well with the dog. They played "tag" a few times today. She did the same thing with the dog we previously lived with.

Now the problem: She won't use the litterbox! She isn't pottying in the floor either. She's well aware of where the litterbox is. She's stuck her head in it and nothing more. It's the same litterbox we used at the old house with new litter with some of the old litter I brought with me on top of it. I read the latter was a good thing to do.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
So where is she doing her business?

You did the right thing by mixing in some of the old litter. I suggest you get another litter tray and put it in a different location. You could try Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract Litter. Hopefully that will get her to use her litter tray again. Good luck!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think she is. Her 'business' doesn't smell very good. If she was doing it in the floor, we would definitely know. I've looked around the house to make sure too.

We've moved in the past and as far as I can remember this was never a problem.

I don't think she's ever had an accident in the floor. She immediately started using the litterbox as a kitten. She is 7 years old, for reference.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She's eating and drinking I think. I'm not sure how much she's eating as I've seen the dog getting her food as well. I guess I'll need that baby gate after all.

She's peed in the litterbox twice now. Still no poop though. I wonder if I should give her some pumpkin.

She hasn't pottied in the floor either. We've looked everywhere. We would smell it if if she did anyways.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
A little pure pumpkin (not pie filling with sugar in it) is good, for both constipation and diarrhea.
But it sounds as if the dog ate her food or she didn't getting any or at least not very much? It may be better to have her food and litter away from the dog (as dogs like cat litter box snacks, so maybe the dog ate them?). Put her food and litter box in the same room and I would put up the baby gate again, so dog doesn't have access to it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The litterbox and food are in the same room now. I shut her in here with me at night. She is getting some food but I think he eats it during the day too. Nonetheless, I'm putting up that baby gate.

There's no way he got in the litterbox at night or during the morning.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Good to hear...we always get worried when our kitties don't eat or poo!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts