Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to the forum as we have just gotten an 8 week old tabby orange kittn. He was giving to me as a birthday gift by my girlfriend as I had been looking for a kitten for some time.

She had him yesterday and his demeanor was totally dosile and friendly. He appeared to really like being in her arms. She was able to pick him up whenever and his shaking would stop.

Last night and today he has been to my place. Now granted, he has gone through a lot in the last 24 hours, but he still responds well to her or other females here.

However, I'm another story. I'm the only person he's hissed at, and he's done it a good 7 times. He wont let me pick him up, and wants nothing to do with me. Usually you'd think the hissing would be limited to when he feels confined, but just an hour ago I went to sit next to him as he slept on the couch. He got up, moved into the middle of the living room, looked at me, and hissed three times. He then went and hid in the batkroom and cried.

I'd really like to be able to have contact with him, but I don't want to push it. If he's hissing, I'm not going to push him.

What can I do to help the adjustment? I'm worried he will never adjust! He's eating, drinking, and using the litter box which is in the washroom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add to that, he's not playful yet, and spends most of his time under a little stool that I've put together for him. It's comprised of a stool with a towel over it and a towel inside, with a little opening. It sits by the heater. It's a great hide out for him right now.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Give the poor kitty some time. It's only been a couple of days. He just lost his family and is no doubt lonely and terrified.

It can take a cat up to 6 months to fully adjust to a new situation. Plus he may have had a bad experience with a male before. Just sit and talk to him but don't approach him, let him set the pace. Relax and don't take it personally.

If he's really having a hard time adjusting to his new life, flower essences can really help.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
drjean said:
Give the poor kitty some time. It's only been a couple of days. He just lost his family and is no doubt lonely and terrified.

It can take a cat up to 6 months to fully adjust to a new situation. Plus he may have had a bad experience with a male before. Just sit and talk to him but don't approach him, let him set the pace. Relax and don't take it personally.

If he's really having a hard time adjusting to his new life, flower essences can really help.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean
Thanks for your reply. Besides a few times, I have pretty much done that. Spending time in the same room, but not approaching.

My worry with this is that he won't get the human touch necessary to ensure he'll be affectionate in the future. I feel bad for the poor guy, but there's not much I can do right now I guess. I can just hope he comes around.

And when you mean flower essences, do you mean pedals or parts of flowers? Should I go to the flourist and get some scraps?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts