Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
hello every one, i was wondering if any one had tips on how to help a old picky kitty with joint pain, my sisters cat is probably well over 10 years and is starting to move slower and inst grooming her self as much, she also seems to be going down the stairs one step at a time and looks very uncomfy, she will not allow you to touch her back legs and so i am thinking she needs some joint meds to help her, the only problem is that all the natural joint supplement treats and what not she wont eat. what are your guys thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Are you just looking for a natural way to deal with joint stiffness or considering meds?

One thing I find older cats take to easily is bone gelatin. it is heavy on the glucosamine, basically pick up any type of bone. cooked or raw, not the ones sold for pets. the ones sold for soup or as a by product of roasted chickens you can eat yourself.. boil them into a broth, let it boil down some and refrigerate. It should turn into a jelly like consistency(it not boil a bit longer). that is the gelatin. when heated it will melt and can be added to canned food or fed straight. it also can be put in ice trays and frozen :D. Yes I know cooking kills a lot of nutrients but for a bit of extra Glucosamine it makes a nice treat and uses up leftovers.. you can always stir in a vitamin powder for more oomph right before serving( also good for hiding meds in).

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
While giving her a joint supplement is only likely to help and not hurt...I think the kitty needs a vet visit to ensure there isn't something more serious going on. This sounds pretty severe, even for a 10+ year old cat...I have 2 over 10 (Maggie is 15 and Kobi is nearly 11) and neither one seems significantly hampered by joint issues...of course every cat is different, but this sounds like more than that to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.